Is job creation in Illinois actually improving? - New York News

Is job creation in Illinois actually improving?

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

Governor Pat Quinn claims Illinois' economy is improving faster than at any time since the 1980's. His republican challenger, though, complains the state ranks dead last in job creation since the great recession began back in 2008.

While the statements sound contradictory, both can point to statistics backing up their arguments.

Humorist Mark Twain declared, "There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics." However, he never saw the current contest for governor of Illinois, where candidates and their allies are using enough statistics to make even a mathematician's head spin.

“Only Illinois and Alaska have lost jobs since the New Year began. We're worse than Alaska on the year," said Michael Lucci of the Illinois Policy Institute.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor "Statistics" did, indeed, report Illinois lost 5,600 private sector jobs this year -- a figure cited by Republican Bruce Rauner's camp, which also noted that tens of thousands of Illinoisans left the work force. Gov. Quinn's Administration prefers the period from July last year to July this year, when the number of unemployed dropped by a dramatic 157,000.

“127,000 people of that 157,000 found new employment. So, only 30,000 of that is explained by a decline in the labor force. By a factor of 4 to 1, we are seeing people find work,” said Adam Pollet, Director of Illinois of Commerce & Economic Opportunity.

Experts said long-term trends are the most meaningful. Republican Rauner and his allies note that Illinois still has 170,000 fewer jobs than when the Great Recession began in 2008, dead last among all 50 states.

Quinn prefers to start with the date when he took office in January, 2010. Illinois' lost 400 jobs since then; bad, but not as bad as Rauner's count.

Republicans and Democrats agree that too many Illinoisans who should be working are not, and it will have to be a top priority of the next governor, no matter who he is.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:28:27 GMT
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
  • Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:15:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices