Hundreds Rally In Paterson To Bring Justice For Genesis - New York News

Hundreds Rally In Paterson To Bring Justice For Genesis

Paterson, New Jersey (My9NJ) -

12 year-old Genesis Rincon was shot in the head by a stray bullet while out riding a scooter in Paterson, New Jersey over the holiday weekend. The young girl was pronounced brain dead at the hospital. Her family kept her alive so they could donate her organs and give life to five other individuals.

Now an arrest has been made after 19 year-old Jhymiere Moore turned himself into police voluntarily after what many believe to be pressure from the community.

On Tuesday night, Genesis’ father and mother took to the streets to embark on a journey for justice. Over 500 people gathered on the steps of Paterson’s City Hall to hear the Rincon’s address the crowd about continued violence in town.

Genesis’ father Alexis Rincon spoke out.

“I was born and raised here in Paterson and I’m gonna stand up for my girl! We gotta walk out here freely not scared and if we all stand together what are they gonna do? Kill all of us? You can’t kill us all, and you know what? My daughters looking down on me right now and on all my family and on all of you,” he said to the people that gathered.

Genesis’ mother collapsed at the event and fell to the ground from all the pain and heat.

At the same time the rally was taking place, a city council meeting was going on inside. Mr. Rincon went inside and emotionally spoke about his tragic loss.

“These are my kids. These are her brothers and sister. She was there. She watched her sister’s body drop, she watched her sister’s head leak blood. They need to hear this, don’t baby me. I’m tired. I can’t go outside. I can’t take my kids to the park. I can’t go out for ice cream. I’m planning on leaving Paterson and never looking back and I was born here and I don’t want to tell people I hate Paterson,” he said.

Mayor Torres who was in the meeting was brought to tears and he addressed the grieving father.

“When Paterson hurts, I hurt. This today council members is a call for action,” he said.

Mayor Torres made suggestions for curfews, liquor stores, and shared services.

• Chasing New JerseyMore>>

Project Child Support’s Mobile Unit Helping Families In The Tri-State

Thursday, August 28 2014 10:25 AM EDT2014-08-28 14:25:04 GMT
    Project Child Support provides an array of different services to help assist both custodial and non-custodial parents throughout the tri-state area with child support related issues in order to help a child get the support they deserve. Yesterday their new mobile assistance center was set up outside of the family court building in Elizabeth, New Jersey to help spread the word about what they do and help those families engrossed in a child support battle.

Ortley Beach Power Problem Costing Couple $20k

Thursday, August 28 2014 10:21 AM EDT2014-08-28 14:21:44 GMT
    Doug and Liz Uhlig's home in Ortley Beach, New Jersey was completely destroyed after Superstorm Sandy. They have spent the last year-and-a-half rebuilding the home and raising it five-feet in order to meet the new FEMA flood standards. Unfortunately, the couple is still without power. After the Uhlig's rebuilt, they sent in all the necessary paperwork to the township for approval.

Kid Stumbles Upon Ten Thousand Year-Old Arrowhead In LBI

Thursday, August 28 2014 10:20 AM EDT2014-08-28 14:20:24 GMT
    There are countless treasures to be found along the Long Beach Island shoreline. Sand dollars, conch shells and even ten thousand year-old arrowheads! That's exactly what happened last week to 10-year old Noah Cordle who was walking along the beach and stumbled over the ancient artifact. “I thought it was a mussel shell, but it looked kind of too pointy to be a mussel shell and so I picked it up and it was an arrowhead,” Cordle explained.

Report: Joan Rivers stops breathing during surgery

Thursday, August 28 2014 11:30 AM EDT2014-08-28 15:30:32 GMT
    Joan Rivers was reportedly rushed to a hospital in New York City Thursday morning after she stopped breathing during a throat surgery.  TMZ reports that Rivers was undergoing the throat procedure in a clinic when she stopped breathing.

Report: Missing NJ man found dead in Israeli forest

Thursday, August 28 2014 11:13 AM EDT2014-08-28 15:13:32 GMT
    Israeli police said Tuesday they are searching for a young New Jersey religious student who disappeared during a hike in a forest outside Jerusalem last week. Aaron Sofer, 23, of Lakewood, N.J., has been missing since Friday, when he went on a hike with a friend in the Jerusalem Forest, said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.

RV offers legal help outside NY, NJ family courts

Thursday, August 28 2014 11:09 AM EDT2014-08-28 15:09:22 GMT
    A new assistance program in New York and New Jersey seeks to help parents settle child support battles.