Graco gives in, agrees to recall 1.9 million infant car seats - New York News

Graco gives in, agrees to recall 1.9 million infant car seats

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: Graco Children's Products Facebook page) (Photo: Graco Children's Products Facebook page)

By TOM KRISHER
AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) — Graco Children's Products is recalling 1.9 million infant car seats, bowing to demands from U.S. safety regulators, in what is now the largest seat recall in American history.

The recall, announced Tuesday, comes after a five-month spat between Graco and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Earlier this year the company recalled 4.2 million toddler seats because the harness buckles can get stuck. But it resisted the agency's demand to recall the infant seats.

Buckles can get gummed up by food and drinks, and that could make it hard to remove children. In some cases parents had to cut harnesses to get their kids out. The agency says that increases the risk of injuries in emergencies.

Graco argued that infant seats are used differently, and in an emergency, an adult can remove the whole seat rather than using the buckle.

When Graco announced the initial recall in February, NHTSA sent the company a sternly worded letter questioning why the infant seats weren't included. The agency said parents have filed complaints with the agency and the company about stuck buckles on the infant seats.

The letter also accused the company of soft-pedaling the recall with "incomplete and misleading" documents that will be seen by consumers. The agency threatened civil penalties.

But Graco, a division of Atlanta-based Newell Rubbermaid Inc., told The Associated Press at the time that rear-facing infant seats weren't being recalled because infants don't get food or drinks on their seats. Graco had agreed to send replacement buckles to owners of infant seats upon request.

In a June 27 letter to NHTSA, however, Graco said that further investigation showed a "higher than typical level of difficulty" in unlatching the infant seat buckles.

The company says there have been no injuries reported because of the problem. Spokeswoman Ashley Mowrey said in a statement that Tuesday's move, which brings the recall to 6.1 million seats, comes after months of sharing data and research with NHTSA. The company said the recall "is in the best interest of consumers and underscores our shared commitment to child passenger safety."

Infant-seat models covered by Tuesday's recall include the SnugRide, SnugRide Classic Connect (including Classic Connect 30 and 35), SnugRide 30, SnugRide 35, SnugRide Click Connect 40, and Aprica A30. They were manufactured between July 2010 and May 2013, according to NHTSA.

Graco will replace the buckles for free. Graco also is offering to send free replacement buckles to any customer, even those with seats not being recalled.

The company says owners can check to see if their seats are included by going to www.GracoBuckleRecall.com or by calling (877) 766-7470.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Expert: 'Mini tornado' caused skydiver death

    Expert: 'Mini tornado' caused skydiver death

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-08-01 14:04:25 GMT
    A safety expert for a national skydiving association says a "mini tornado" caused the accident that killed a correction officer and injured his instructor during a tandem jump.
    A safety expert for a national skydiving association says a "mini tornado" caused the accident that killed a correction officer and injured his instructor during a tandem jump.
  • Man arrested for road rage shooting

    Man arrested for road rage shooting

    Friday, August 1 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-08-01 13:15:13 GMT
    An upstate man is under arrest after police say he opened fire on another driver on I-84.The New York State Police say that Masey Moshref, 26, of Wappinger Falls faces a slew of felony charges after the Wednesday evening incident.At approximately 6:28 p.m., police received a 911 call from a driver who said a man driving a green Honda Accord bearing California license plates pulled alongside of his vehicle and displayed a black handgun.The victim says the man fired one shot at his vehicle, str...
    An upstate man is under arrest after police say he opened fire on another driver on I-84.The New York State Police say that Masey Moshref, 26, of Wappinger Falls faces a slew of felony charges after the Wednesday evening incident.At approximately 6:28 p.m., police received a 911 call from a driver who said a man driving a green Honda Accord bearing California license plates pulled alongside of his vehicle and displayed a black handgun.The victim says the man fired one shot at his vehicle, str...
  • Massive emergency drill in New York City

    Massive emergency drill in New York City

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:53 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:53:38 GMT
    The New York City Department of Health will be conducting a massive emergency preparedness drill at 30 facilities across the city on Friday.  They are testing the delivery of emergency medications in the event of a biological attack, such as anthrax, on the city.
    The New York City Department of Health will be conducting a massive emergency preparedness drill at 30 facilities across the city on Friday.  They are testing the delivery of emergency medications in the event of a biological attack, such as anthrax, on the city.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices