Community Safety Meeting Held After Rittenhouse Sexual Assault - New York News

Community Safety Meeting Held After Rittenhouse Sexual Assault

Posted: Updated:

A community awareness meeting was held at the 10th Presbyterian Church in Center City on Wednesday night.

It was packed even though the man who police say sexually assaulted a woman last week in Rittenhouse is in custody.

Police say surveillance cameras captured 28-year Milton Garcia when he approached the woman and followed her to her Spruce Street apartment where he's accused of attacking her.

Philadelphia City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson and the Center City Residents Association brought together several organizations to talk about safety.

"I'm a young woman. I live in the city and I sometimes don't feel comfortable walking around by myself at night," said Abigail Simons. She and many women were interested in the self defense demonstration presented during the meeting. There are free classes offered around the city.

"At the end of the day that might be the only thing that will protect you from a predator," said Tyemah Sanchez

Richard Branton says it's not practical for him. "When you get my age it's hard to move your hips or your arms," he said. But he also says the meeting provided something useful for everyone.

"Even as simple as when you're walking down the street you should catch people's eyes. You shouldn't walk with your face down not being aware of your immediate environment," said Branton.

Victoria Bayle came with Branton to the meeting and said she's concerned about violent purse snatchings that have happened. "I have gone down to a small pocketbook because there's so much of that in the city," she said.

City officials are also looking for volunteers to start a more active town watch in Center City and they're looking to expand the city's SafeCam Program from businesses to residents. The city reimburses a percentage of the cost and can use your camera to help solve crimes.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:00:17 GMT
    SCPD photoSCPD photo
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices