Universal Cabs and Diamond Cabs File Lawsuit Against Airport - New York News

Universal Cabs and Diamond Cabs File Lawsuit Against Airport

Two local cab companies say they are frustrated with the airport's decision of only having 3 cab companies serve the airport.

Last week, Universal Cab and Diamond Cab filed a lawsuit.

A few years ago, a committee from the airport along with city leaders reviewed bids and awarded 3 companies access to the airport.

But many other cab companies that didn't get the bid say they are losing business and are now speaking out.

For more than 2 decades, Mohamed Moustafa has shuttled people in and around Charlotte.

“I was the largest company in Charlotte. I have all the technology before Yellow cab even came to the city,” said Mohamed Moustafa, who owns Universal Cabs.

But for the past 3 years, his fleet of cabs hasn’t parked at the airport.

“I felt betrayed. I felt I was run over,” said Moustafa.

A joint committed picked 3 cab companies to serve the airport – but Moustafa’s company – Universal Cabs – wasn’t one of them.

“It’s very hard. I lost majority of my business because of the airport. Without the airport, you are out of business. If you don’t serve the airport you are almost out,” said Moustafa.

Moustafa says he’s missed out on nearly half a million dollars and lost around 60 drivers.

“I lose my drivers. I lost my reputation. I lost the good will of the people. I lost my home in FoxCroft,” said Moustafa.

Now he’s filed a lawsuit and hopes someday he’ll be back at the airport.

“I work hard to keep this company going every single day,” said Moustafa.

We reached out to airport leaders about the lawsuit but they told us they can’t comment on any specific legal matter.

The cabbies say they expect a response this summer.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Excites Fans

Saturday, July 26 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:22:47 GMT

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Thousands enjoyed an up close racing experience at the Charlotte Dirt Track.

Roll Over Fred: From Pet Owner to Store Owner

Sunday, July 27 2014 7:52 PM EDT2014-07-27 23:52:30 GMT
    We all have heard of the saying, “a dog is a man’s best friend," it may sound a bit cliche but it’s true for Fred Shrill and his dog Tucker. “I wouldn’t take the world or him,” said Fred as he smiled.

• Mike Leslie's death-defying (not really) ride in the passenger seat of a rocket ship

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

#Ridealong with Red Bull Global Rallycross

Saturday, July 26 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-07-26 19:22:34 GMT
    Friday, for my assignment, I was tasked with a ride-along in a Global Rallycross car, at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Cars that go zero-to-60 in 1.9 seconds -- that's faster than a formula one car. We're talking about machines with absurd power. Not a bad gig... But enough to make you a little skittish...

'Spider-man' slugs cop in Times Square

Sunday, July 27 2014 7:54 PM EDT2014-07-27 23:54:59 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A man dressed as Spider-Man was arrested on charges he slugged a police officer who told him to stop harassing tourists in Times Square.

Kayakers breach New York's JFK airport security

Sunday, July 27 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-27 19:46:29 GMT
    The tower at John F. Kennedy International AirportThe tower at John F. Kennedy International Airport
    Two kayakers have been cited for trespassing after breaching a Kennedy Airport security perimeter.
    Two kayakers have been cited for trespassing after breaching a security perimeter at New York's Kennedy Airport.

Woman gets 20-year prison term for fatal stabbing

Sunday, July 27 2014 2:32 PM EDT2014-07-27 18:32:05 GMT
    A southern New Jersey woman who fatally stabbed a man last year during an argument in his home has been sentenced to 20 years in state prison.