Neighbor Comes To The Rescue Of Cardiac Arrest Victim - New York News

Bookmark and Share

Neighbor Comes To The Rescue Of Cardiac Arrest Victim

MARLTON, N.J. -

Sometimes the people living next to you, can end up being more than just neighbors.

That was the case in Marlton this past weekend, when a college student across the street saved another man's life.

First responders say the victim would not be alive today if not for the awareness and quick actions of his neighbor.

The victim's family has asked for privacy, but do say they want their neighbor's heroism to be recognized.

"He's lying in the shade, I thought he was taking a break. It was kind of hot outside,” Jarad Barag said.

Barag thought it was a bit odd his neighbor stopped mowing his lawn last Sunday morning.

So the Drexel student took a break from washing his car, and walked across the street to check him out.

"I go to tap on him and all I see is his eyes are wide open, blood shot and he wasn't breathing,” he said.

His neighbor, Dave had gone into cardiac arrest and collapsed near the fence in the front yard.

"Reaction just kicked in and I knew I had to call 911. I knew what my job was. I knew I had to do CPR. I knew I had to do mouth to mouth and everything like that. I wasn't even thinking, it was just all reaction,” Barag said.

Evesham Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Stephen Addezio lives around the corner and was the initial first responder to join Barag's life saving effort.

"Jared is a hero in the neighborhood, a hero in the community. Everybody in the neighborhood is very happy that Jared was home, willing to get involved and in this case made a difference,” Addezio said.

We're told Dave's wife was at church that morning, so Barag spotting his neighbor's bright orange shirt in the grass was likely the difference between life and death.

"I don't know what I would have done in that situation to tell you the truth. I hope I would have done the same thing, but I don't know, I don't know if I would have froze or whatever, so I'm grateful for what he did,” neighbor Dennis Higman said.

Barag hasn't spoken to his neighbor since, but plans on seeing him soon.

"I'll just go up there and hug him and just thank the lord that he was stubborn and fought through everything. Even though we weren't too sure what the outcome was going to be,” he said.

The victim remained hospitalized Friday and was doing better, but his family concedes it could be a long road ahead.

There is talk about formally honoring all of the heroes that saved his life at the next council meeting in July.

Police: Boater Disappearance May Have Been Staged

Friday, August 1 2014 6:28 PM EDT2014-08-01 22:28:19 GMT
    Egg Harbor Township Police believe the disappearance of a boater in July may have been staged.

New Video Game Sparks Debate In South Jersey

Friday, August 1 2014 5:30 PM EDT2014-08-01 21:30:49 GMT
    Video games may be pure fantasy, but a violent action-adventure game called "Watch Dogs" has ignited a very real debate in one South Jersey community. Watch Dog allows players to adopt the persona of a James Bond-like computer hacker, chasing an evil mastermind. People say it's chock-full of foul language, sex and violence, features dark and foreboding backdrops. The latest version, which is due out this fall may be set in Camden.

• SOGGY WEEKEND

Friday, August 1 2014 5:24 PM EDT2014-08-01 21:24:23 GMT

Saturday (79/68): AM Rain, PM Clouds

Weekend, clouds will stick around throughout Saturday and Sunday as wet weather dampens the first weekend in August. Saturday will start off unsettled, especially S&E, but towards the afternoon most of us should remain drier with light scattered showers. There is a better chance for more widespread precipitation Sunday with on and off showers/thunderstorms possible.

Saturday (79/68): AM Rain PM Clouds

Sunday (81/68): Cloudy, Showers & T-Storms

OCME: Police chokehold caused Eric Garner's death

Friday, August 1 2014 7:19 PM EDT2014-08-01 23:19:02 GMT
    The New York City medical examiner ruled Friday that a police officer's chokehold caused the death of a man whose videotaped arrest and final pleas of "I can't breathe!" sparked outrage and led to the announcement of a complete overhaul of use-of-force training for the nation's largest police force.
  • 'Ice bucket challenge'

NY man with ALS gets support from friends and strangers

NY man with ALS gets support from friends and strangers

Friday, August 1 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-08-01 23:14:45 GMT
    When he was 31, Patrick Quinn, of Queens, received the life-changing news: he has ALS. It all started after a softball game in 2011. After two years of countless medical tests, the diagnosis was final. Since then, Quinn has watched his body change. His arms are much thinner. His biceps and triceps have atrophied. His hands have lost all muscle.

'Get on Up' and James Brown's Harlem legacy

Friday, August 1 2014 5:55 PM EDT2014-08-01 21:55:13 GMT
    "Get on Up" is in theaters now. The film chronicles the career of James Brown, who had a special connection to Harlem and New York. Billy Mitchell is the in-house historian at the historic Apollo Theater. He says the Apollo was a second home to Brown, as it was here where he became an international superstar who appealed to all. But Brown's NYC legacy stretches even further.