Ford lowering fuel economy on 6 vehicle - New York News

Ford lowering fuel economy on 6 vehicle

Posted: Updated:
By DEE-ANN DURBIN
AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- Ford is lowering the fuel economy estimates for six models, including hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the Fusion sedan, after internal tests found errors in the way they were calculated.
 
Except for the Lincoln MKZ hybrid, the fuel economy estimates will fall between one and five miles per gallon. The subcompact Fiesta's combined city and highway fuel economy drops by 1 mpg to 36 mpg, for example, while the C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid falls 5 mpg to 38 mpg. But the combined fuel economy for the MKZ hybrid has been reduced by 7 mpg to 38 mpg.
 
Ford will compensate approximately 215,000 buyers with payments of between $125 and $1,050 each, depending on how much their vehicles were overstated. Most of those customers are in the U.S.; around 15,000 are from Canada and elsewhere.
 
Ford said it discovered the problem during internal tests in March and alerted the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA supervised the retesting of the vehicles and is now confident that their fuel economy is accurate, said Chris Grundler, head of the EPA's office of transportation and air quality.
 
Grundler said the EPA is still investigating why Ford made the error.
 
He also said the EPA is considering requiring all automakers to do the same kind of internal testing of production vehicles that Ford is doing. Grundler said not all companies do fuel economy testing after vehicles are in production.
 
Ford has previously restated the mileage for the C-Max hybrid for an unrelated issue. Last fall, the company dropped the combined fuel economy for the C-Max from 47 mpg to 43 mpg. In that case, Ford used the numbers from a similar vehicle, the Fusion hybrid, and applied them to the C-Max instead of calculating the C-Max separately.
 
The C-Max's fuel economy has now dropped to 40 mpg in combined city and highway driving.
 
Raj Nair, Ford's product development chief, said engineers were incorrectly correlating wind tunnel results in their computer models, which are used to help calculate fuel economy because it's difficult to repeat exact conditions in real-world vehicle tests.
 
Nair said no one at Ford has been dismissed because of the issue.
 
"This was our mistake, plain and simple, and we apologize to our customers for it," he said. "We are taking steps to improve our process so this doesn't happen again."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:08:59 GMT
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
  • Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:53:37 GMT
    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning.

    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning. Follow live Tweets from the courtroom here. >>
  • Pedigree dog food recall expanded

    Pedigree dog food recall expanded

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:55:19 GMT
    Pedigree Dog Food has announced it is expanding last week's voluntary recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food due to "the possible presence of a foreign material".
    Pedigree Dog Food has announced it is expanding last week's voluntary recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food due to "the possible presence of a foreign material".
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices