Woman Dines On BBQ, Swallows Wire From Grill Brush - New York News

Woman Dines On BBQ, Swallows Wire From Grill Brush

Posted: Updated:
  • Woman Dines On BBQ, Swallows Wire From Grill BrushMore>>

  • Get FOX13 Breaking News on your mobile device

    Get FOX13 Breaking News on your mobile device

    Friday, October 4 2013 3:43 PM EDT2013-10-04 19:43:45 GMT
    Get breaking news alerts on your mobile device direct from the FOX13 news desk. On average, you could get as many as three to five alerts on a busy day, as the news merits. Just fill out the form below
    Get breaking news alerts on your mobile device direct from the FOX13 news desk. On average, you could get as many as three to five alerts on a busy day, as the news merits. Just fill out the form below
A freak barbecue accident sends a Texas woman to the emergency room.

It wasn't the food that made her sick, but rather what happened during the cooking process on the grill.

Barbecue, on a hot summer day-- there's nothing like it. On Saturday, Karen Dunlap and her husband grilled chicken at their Lake Conroe home.

"It was really the best grilled chicken he'd ever made, I was like wow! This is so good and I'm eating it and the third bite I bit down on something hard and I thought at first it was a charred piece of the chicken or something and as I swallowed it I realized no, this is not something I should be swallowing," Dunlap said.

She went to the emergency room. Doctors found a wire from the grill brush her husband used shortly before putting the meat on to cook lodged in her esophagus.

"The pain was radiating down and up and every time I would swallow it got worse," she said.

Once doctors removed it, she instantly felt better.

The wire brush, she says, is in the trash.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study of wire brush incidents in 2012. According to the report, bristles were located in the necks of patients. Others had to undergo abdominal surgery to retrieve the object from their intestines.

The CDC urged people to examine grills for the presence of bristles and use alternative grill-cleaning methods.

Read full CDC report: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6126a4.htm

Kathy Bousquet owns Barbeque Mercantile in North Austin. She showed us a few safe ways to clean a grill.

"The problem with brushes mounted in plastic is if you use these on a very hot grill the plastic wants to start to melt and release the bristles. So if you are going to use one like this make sure you are using it on a cooler grill surface. That helps eliminate that problem. Another way to clean your grill is using a scraper. It's really versatile. Nothing is gonna break off or harm you," Bousquet said. "The best solution of all is a wooden paddle. It comes straight across but as you use it on a hot grill, it will char in and make a custom scrape for your grill. So obviously no bristles, very safe and they look pretty good too."

Dunlap says she's sticking to oven cleaner, "We will never use a wire brush again. It's really too scary."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Is NYC the most unhappiest city in America?

    Is NYC the most unhappiest city in America?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 9:36 AM EDT2014-07-23 13:36:19 GMT
    When researchers in Canada and Harvard University examined the results of a survey that asked “In general, how satisfied are you with your life?” they found that New York City is the unhappiest city in the country. The data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Pittsburgh, Louisville, Milwaukee and Detroit round out the list.
    When researchers in Canada and Harvard University examined the results of a survey that asked “In general, how satisfied are you with your life?” they found that New York City is the unhappiest city in the country. The data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Pittsburgh, Louisville, Milwaukee and Detroit round out the list.
  • Two babies get herpes during ritual circumcision

    Two babies get herpes during ritual circumcision

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 9:19 AM EDT2014-07-23 13:19:03 GMT
    The New York City Department of Health has issued an alert after two babies were diagnosed with neonatal herpes this month after undergoing a ritual Jewish circumcision called metzitzah b'peh.  In this type of circumcision the mohel sucks blood directly from the infant's cut penis.  The infants need to be hospitalized and treated with intravenous acyclovir.
    The New York City Department of Health has issued an alert after two babies were diagnosed with neonatal herpes this month after undergoing a ritual Jewish circumcision called metzitzah b'peh.  In this type of circumcision the mohel sucks blood directly from the infant's cut penis.  The infants need to be hospitalized and treated with intravenous acyclovir.
  • Blaze engulfs commercial building in NJ

    Blaze engulfs commercial building in NJ

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 8:07 AM EDT2014-07-23 12:07:25 GMT
    A two-alarm fire broke out in a commercial building in New Jersey on Tuesday. The fire erupted on Bergen Boulevard and 12th Street in Palisades Park. SkyFoxHD was over the scene as heavy smoke poured out from the building. It is not clear what sparked the fire. No injuries were reported.
    A two-alarm fire broke out in a commercial building in New Jersey on Tuesday. The fire erupted on Bergen Boulevard and 12th Street in Palisades Park. SkyFoxHD was over the scene as heavy smoke poured out from the building. It is not clear what sparked the fire. No injuries were reported.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices