Stay -At- Home Mothers Returning to the Workforce - New York News

Stay -At- Home Mothers Returning to the Workforce

• M'ballu Tejan-SieM'ballu Tejan-SieMore>>

M'ballu Tejan-Sie

Friday, May 30 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-05-30 19:28:55 GMT
    I fell in love with journalism while working on a documentary on Sierra Leonean women refugees. It was then I realized the power of telling the stories of others.

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery's New Home

Thursday, May 29 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-05-30 03:19:35 GMT
    Olde Mecklenburg Brewery has a new home making it the largest craft house in the state.

A typical day in the life of Keya Hamilton includes cooking for her family, rehearsal practice for her upcoming play, and playing her favorite tunes on the piano. In spite of her hectic schedule, one thing comes first for this self-described supermom.

“ I want to be everything to my kids, I don’t want them to look back and say,” hey I wish my mom could have done this or I wish she’d been there for me,” Hamilton said.

As a stay-at-home mom Keya understands the importance of being in her children’s lives. Last year she returned to the workforce following her divorce.

“ After I got divorced, of course I had to make a living my ex-husband was wonderful about support, however you have to make your own way,” she said. “So I went back to work and I worked there for many years and it was great. But the thing about it—I really missed time with my kids.”

She recently attended a resume building workshop by Regal and Associates, for mothers like herself. Mothers who had been in and out of the workforce, due to taking care of their families.

Regal Hawke of Regal and Associates said situations like Keya’s are becoming more common.

“ There’s nothing more disheartening for me as a presenter for women in the workforce to encounter than a woman who was a stay at home wife, a stay at home mom whose marriage ended and now after 10, 15, 20 years and now she’s forced to find gainful employment and learn to take care of herself,” Hawke said.

Regal and Associates provides support for mothers, who have been out of the workforce due to being stay at home mothers and helps them explore entrepreneurship or re-enter the corporate world.

“I think the biggest thing about Regal and her workshops is that sometimes you have to be creative,” Hamilton said.

“Life has a way of redirecting us to where we should be and sometimes we don’t have the courage to take those steps or initiate that redirection ourselves, but for women who are stay at home wives or who are out of the workforce and looking for ways to re-enter I encourage them to take time to get to know themselves,” Hawke said.

As this stay at home mom looks to the future she hopes for one thing to happen to her career.

“I can show the world what I can do and make people feel,” Hamilton said.

And for Keya one thing will always come first.

“The most important thing for me is my children, being able to spend time with them because they are growing up so fast.”

Mallard Creek, Hough Score Wins on First Night of High School Football

Friday, August 22 2014 12:40 AM EDT2014-08-22 04:40:30 GMT
    High school football season kicked off tonight at Memorial Stadium.
    High school football season kicked off tonight at Memorial Stadium.

Family Living Near Rowan County Coal Ash Pond Reacts To Legislation

Thursday, August 21 2014 11:51 PM EDT2014-08-22 03:51:48 GMT
    North Carolina lawmakers passed a bill to clean up four of the 14 coal ash plant sites in the state. The legislation does not require clean up at the Buck Steam Plant coal ash ponds in Rowan County.

Catawba Riverkeeper and NC Petroleum Council Talk Fracking & Coal Ash

Thursday, August 21 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-22 03:25:26 GMT
    Earlier this week, North Carolina state lawmakers passed a bill to clean up some or the state's coal ash sites.  Another issue being discussed in Raleigh this week is "fracking."  We talked to a hydraulic fracturing supporter and an opponent.

Congressman's ad includes Soviet medals

Friday, August 22 2014 8:38 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:38:06 GMT
    A New Jersey congressman's office is red-faced after a Facebook ad about veteran benefits that appeared to feature Russian military medals.
    A New Jersey congressman's office is red-faced over a Facebook ad about veteran benefits that featured Soviet military medals. Rep. Scott Garrett's spokeswoman said in an emailed statement that the office was sorry an initial review did not catch the use of the stock photo. Maggie Seidel says the ad was produced by an outside vendor and is no longer running. The ad asked people to like Garrett's page to learn what he's doing to support veterans' benefits.

Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.

17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.