Stay -At- Home Mothers Returning to the Workforce - New York News

Stay -At- Home Mothers Returning to the Workforce

• M'ballu Tejan-SieM'ballu Tejan-SieMore>>

M'ballu Tejan-Sie

Friday, May 30 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-05-30 19:28:55 GMT
    I fell in love with journalism while working on a documentary on Sierra Leonean women refugees. It was then I realized the power of telling the stories of others.

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery's New Home

Thursday, May 29 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-05-30 03:19:35 GMT
    Olde Mecklenburg Brewery has a new home making it the largest craft house in the state.

A typical day in the life of Keya Hamilton includes cooking for her family, rehearsal practice for her upcoming play, and playing her favorite tunes on the piano. In spite of her hectic schedule, one thing comes first for this self-described supermom.

“ I want to be everything to my kids, I don’t want them to look back and say,” hey I wish my mom could have done this or I wish she’d been there for me,” Hamilton said.

As a stay-at-home mom Keya understands the importance of being in her children’s lives. Last year she returned to the workforce following her divorce.

“ After I got divorced, of course I had to make a living my ex-husband was wonderful about support, however you have to make your own way,” she said. “So I went back to work and I worked there for many years and it was great. But the thing about it—I really missed time with my kids.”

She recently attended a resume building workshop by Regal and Associates, for mothers like herself. Mothers who had been in and out of the workforce, due to taking care of their families.

Regal Hawke of Regal and Associates said situations like Keya’s are becoming more common.

“ There’s nothing more disheartening for me as a presenter for women in the workforce to encounter than a woman who was a stay at home wife, a stay at home mom whose marriage ended and now after 10, 15, 20 years and now she’s forced to find gainful employment and learn to take care of herself,” Hawke said.

Regal and Associates provides support for mothers, who have been out of the workforce due to being stay at home mothers and helps them explore entrepreneurship or re-enter the corporate world.

“I think the biggest thing about Regal and her workshops is that sometimes you have to be creative,” Hamilton said.

“Life has a way of redirecting us to where we should be and sometimes we don’t have the courage to take those steps or initiate that redirection ourselves, but for women who are stay at home wives or who are out of the workforce and looking for ways to re-enter I encourage them to take time to get to know themselves,” Hawke said.

As this stay at home mom looks to the future she hopes for one thing to happen to her career.

“I can show the world what I can do and make people feel,” Hamilton said.

And for Keya one thing will always come first.

“The most important thing for me is my children, being able to spend time with them because they are growing up so fast.”

Pair Your Favorite Beer With Your Favorite Food

Monday, September 1 2014 12:31 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:31:56 GMT
    Have you ever wondered how to pair great foods with beer, well Cesar Leyva from Cheers Charlotte Radio has those answers!Cesar joined us on Good Day and brought a few locally brewed beers and gave us the rundown on which foods they pair best with.

House Training Your Cat

Monday, September 1 2014 12:28 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:28:14 GMT
    If you are a cat owner, then you know how difficult it can be from keeping your furry friend from using the bathroom wherever and whenever they want.

Labor Day Brunch and BBQ

Monday, September 1 2014 11:28 AM EDT2014-09-01 15:28:40 GMT
    Local Loaf in Uptown is offering a special brunch and BBQ menu for its customers on Labor Day. It starts at 10:00 a.m. so Charity Bailey went to the bakery to check out some of the prep work.

Homeowner interrupting burglary is fatally stabbed

Monday, September 1 2014 2:35 PM EDT2014-09-01 18:35:46 GMT
    A 67-year-old homeowner was stabbed to death and his wife injured after they came upon a burglary at their Staten Island home.
    Police in New York City say an intruder stabbed a couple who interrupted a burglary at their home, killing the man and injuring his wife.

New MTA bus routes take effect

Monday, September 1 2014 1:09 PM EDT2014-09-01 17:09:54 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.

Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.