Boone Motel Deaths - 1 Year Later - New York News

Boone Motel Deaths - 1 Year Later

Posted: Updated:

It’s been nearly a year since 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams died in a Boone motel because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

An elderly couple also died in the same hotel room.

Now, family members want carbon monoxide detectors not in just some rooms, but in every hotel room.

The beeping sound of a carbon monoxide detector could have saved young Jeffrey Williams.

He and his mother, Jeannie, checked into a Boone motel last year.

And in less than an hour, police say carbon monoxide seeped into their room and killed Jeffrey.

Jeannie was too upset to talk about her son’s death but she tells me she carries a carbon monoxide detector whenever she travels.

And firefighters say, that’s smart.

"Carbon monoxide is a silent killer - it is colorless, odorless. The only way to detect is to through a detector,” said Deputy Chief Jeff Dulin.

But not every hotel room has one – well at least, not yet.

"We felt carbon monoxide should be in every home, business, every motel room because you never know - even if you don't have fossil fuels inside there could be cars, machinery etc.. that,” said Dulin.

"What we are required to do in hotels put CO detectors into any room that burns a fossil fuel,” said Dunhill Hotel GM John Beatty.

Last year, 3 people in the same motel room in Boone because of carbon monoxide.

"That was our tragic event for the family and for our industry too. It could have been preventable,” said Beatty.

Since then, a new law was passed that required CO detectors in certain rooms.

"Here at the Dunhill Hotel - we have 60 rooms. There's only 1 room because it is adjacent to the boiler room,” said Beatty.

Now there’s a push to have one in every room.

"We feel like CO detectors are just like smoke detectors. Every room should have one,” said Dulin.

"It's very important because they sleep better and then we sleep better,” said Residence Inn GM David Love.

Another change: an inspection by the Fire Department instead of the Health Department.

The goal is to save lives and prevent another Boone incident.

"Safety is of upmost importance to our industry," said Beatty.

"I think everybody wins. It's a small price to pay for the safety of our guests,” said Love.

Jeannie Williams agrees.

She started a non-profit organization to open people’s eyes to the dangers of carbon monoxide.

What are your thoughts about it? Weigh in online at www.facebook.com/archith.news or www.twitter.com/archithFox46   

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Stranded: No Money for CMS Field Trips

    Stranded: No Money for CMS Field Trips

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:12 AM EDT2014-07-31 04:12:45 GMT
    No more money for field trips.
    No more money for field trips.
  • Battle in the Dilworth Neighborhood

    Battle in the Dilworth Neighborhood

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:28 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:28:51 GMT
    The Charlotte Planning Commission met on Wednesday night to determine a recommendation for the Dilworth neighborhood. It was part of Re-Zoning Petition 14-63. Developers want townhomes but neighbors say they want single-family homes in the neighborhood.
    The Charlotte Planning Commission met on Wednesday night to determine a recommendation for the Dilworth neighborhood. It was part of Re-Zoning Petition 14-63. Developers want townhomes but neighbors say they want single-family homes in the neighborhood.
  • New Tethering Rules in Kannapolis

    New Tethering Rules in Kannapolis

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:08 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:08:23 GMT
    If you chain your dog outside and you live in Kannapolis, there are new regulations being put in place to ensure your pup is safe when you leave the yard. Many people chain their dog outside for only a few minutes, but others leave their dogs outside in the heat for the entire day. The Humane Society in Concord has seen 5-6 dogs die due to strangulation from their chains in recent months. Though the City of Kannapolis has not had any formal complaints of dogs chained for long periods of time,...
    If you chain your dog outside and you live in Kannapolis, there are new regulations being put in place to ensure your pup is safe when you leave the yard. Many people chain their dog outside for only a few minutes, but others leave their dogs outside in the heat for the entire day. The Humane Society in Concord has seen 5-6 dogs die due to strangulation from their chains in recent months. Though the City of Kannapolis has not had any formal complaints of dogs chained for long periods of time,...
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Falling debris from Midtown building

    Falling debris from Midtown building

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:32 AM EDT2014-07-31 13:32:06 GMT
    Emergency personnel are responding to reports of falling debris from a high-rise building in Midtown Manhattan. W. 57th St. between 5th and 6th Aves. is closed. SkyFoxHD is headed to the scene.
    Emergency personnel are responding to reports of falling debris from a high-rise building in Midtown Manhattan. W. 57th St. between 5th and 6th Aves. is closed. SkyFoxHD is headed to the scene.
  • Arrest in attack on teen in elevator

    Arrest in attack on teen in elevator

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:24 AM EDT2014-07-31 13:24:13 GMT
    Two thugs were caught on security camera footage beating a teenager and stealing from her inside an apartment building in the Midwood section of Brooklyn.  The NYPD says the attackers are seen dragging the 18-year-old out of an elevator into the hallway and punching and kicking her.
    Police have arrested one of two suspects wanted in the brutal attack of a teenager inside her apartment building in the Midwood section of Brooklyn. The thugs were caught on security camera footage beating the 18-year-old at about 9:34 on Sunday night. The attackers are seen dragging the girl out of an elevator into the hallway and punching and kicking her. Tyler Hopping, 18, was arrested on Wednesday.
  • Dad delivers baby into toilet

    Dad delivers baby into toilet

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:30 AM EDT2014-07-31 12:30:58 GMT
    A Connecticut father proudly helped deliver his own baby... into a toilet.
    A Connecticut father proudly helped deliver his own baby... into a toilet.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices