Clinton says she would release medical records - New York News

Clinton says she would release medical records

Posted: Updated:
Hillary Rodham Clinton in Belgium, December 5, 2012. (State Department photo) Hillary Rodham Clinton in Belgium, December 5, 2012. (State Department photo)

By KEN THOMAS

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton says if she seeks the White House again she will release her medical records in the same manner of past presidential candidates.

The former secretary of state told ABC News in an excerpt of an interview aired Friday that she would "do what other candidates have done. Absolutely."

Clinton fell ill with a stomach bug in December 2012 after returning from a trip to Europe and was severely dehydrated. While at home, she fainted and fell, suffering a concussion.

During a follow up examination on Dec. 30 that year, doctors discovered a blood clot in a vein that runs between the skull and the brain behind her right ear, and she was admitted to New York-Presbyterian Hospital for treatment with blood thinners.

Presidential candidates typically release medical records once it becomes clear they will win their party's nomination. Clinton's health was not an issue in her 2008 primary campaign against Barack Obama and she did not release medical records prior to losing the party's nod to the eventual president.

Clinton said in the interview that her health is "very good." She noted she previously had a blood clot in her right leg and said the two cases were related.

The potential 2016 presidential candidate said she expects to be on blood thinners the rest of her life, adding, "I don't mind because I don't ever want to go through that again."

She was asked about Republican strategist Karl Rove, who suggested earlier this year that Clinton had serious health problems that would be a relevant issue if she runs for president again. Clinton said Rove was called George W. "Bush's brain in one of the books written about him, and I wish him well."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices