American authors are cut from British schools' reading lists - New York News

American authors are cut from British schools' reading lists

Updated:

By: Nicole Shepard, Deseret News

In an attempt to increase rigor, intellectual thought and a strong sense of Britishness, the U.K.'s minister of education Michael Gove removed American literature from syllabi in British high schools.

Harper Lee's “To Kill a Mockingbird,” John Steinbeck's “Of Mice and Men,” Maya Angelou's autobiography and Arthur Miller's play “The Crucible” were all staples of the U.K.'s English education, but are now no longer approved material.

The Huffington Post reported, “New government rules say GCSE pupils must study ‘high quality, intellectually challenging, and substantial works.'”

The GCSE are standardized exams taken by British students by age 16 and are used for eligibility to move on to courses designed to prepare students to attend universities.

“The purge of Americans,” the ministry of education said in a press release, “is the product - though not the goal - of an attempt to make the school curriculum more rigorous.”

Gove insisted that the goal was never to banish American writers. He wrote in the Daily Mail, “I have not banned anything. All we are doing is asking exam boards to broaden - not narrow - the books young people study for GCSE.”

Some welcome Gove's changes, saying that there are many British literary treasures of the last century that are too often overshadowed by American literature of the same era.

“Jonathan Bate, an English professor at Oxford who advised on the latest curriculum changes, said he had been discouraged to discover that many pupils studied no British novels for their GCSE course,” the Huffington Post reported.

"I think there are so many riches in the last century's literature in these islands that all pupils should have some acquaintance with it," Bate said.

But many British high school educators are outraged at the loss of classic American literature from the classroom, saying that Gove isn't broadening young British minds but fostering a backwards ethnocentricity.

“Michael Gove wants everybody studying traditional literature, and he wants it to be British," Bethan Marshall, chair of the National Association for the Teaching of English, told the Huffington Post. “I think that's a bit of a mistake.”

The ministry of education responded to criticism, saying that these “guidelines represent the minimum students are required to learn,” and those who [choose] to read “more widely - and internationally - will do better on the exams.”

The Daily Mail reported that Nobel Prize-winning writer Toni Morrison weighed in on the debate, saying, “It [is] wrong to divide literature into 'nationalistic categories.'” She said Gove would live to regret the mandate.

Morrison, along with many British academics, have said that dividing literature up by nationality misses the point of a literary education, saying that it's meant to be a celebration of language and insight, not patriotism.

Mary Stevens, an English teacher from Abingdon, U.K., set up and online petition criticizing and asking for a change to the new legislation told the BBC, “By telling us we have to teach romantic poets, a 19th century novel, a Shakespeare play and a British text, he is taking choice away from teachers - that is the reality.”

Stevens also said that "this doesn't broaden the curriculum in real terms. Our perception is that Michael Gove has made these changes based on his personal opinion. We feel that important changes in policy should be informed by expert research, including teachers who are actually delivering the curriculum."


Original Post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:36:18 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders. Darrell Fuller was accused of killing Police Officer Arthur Lopez who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. 
    Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders. Darrell Fuller was accused of killing Police Officer Arthur Lopez who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. 
    Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices