Survivor Of Market Street Building Collapse Speaks - New York News

Survivor Of Market Street Building Collapse Speaks

A ruling from a Philadelphia judge came Tuesday in the case against two men charged in connection with the Market Street building collapse that killed six people almost one year ago.

In the meantime, two days from the disaster's one year anniversary, a survivor shared her heartbreaking story.

Fox 29's Dave Kinchen has the report.

Mariya Plekan lost both of her legs in the incident, and now suffers from a host of medical issues.

She was the last person to be pulled from the rubble.

Her appearance came hours after a judge denied a request to drop criminal conspiracy charges against backhoe operator Sean Benschop and demolition project leader Griffin Campbell.

In a wheelchair pushed by her son, Mariya Plekan, was escorted through the St. Ignatious Nursing and Rehab Center in West Philadelphia.

It is where she has stayed for several months in recovery after the 2013 Center City building collapse.

"I just was praying is somebody going to find me and hear me there," said Plekan.

She spoke through an interpreter, and was joined by her attorney.

The Ukrainian mother of two relived the frightening moment when the walls of a Market Street building, under demolition, crashed onto the Salvation Army Thrift Store she was shopping in.

"I was on the left side of store and when everything collapsed on me the brick wall make a (collar) on me made little crack in between, and I make hole and I try to breathe. It was possible to see light from that crack that wall make and it was possible to breathe," she explained.

She says breathing was difficult with the sheer tonnage of debris on top of her.

"I felt very heavy bricks, bricks on me, and I could not move. I heard my phone, but I could not move to reach to my phone," said Plekan.

She was buried for 13 excruciating hours.

"I was thinking about my kids. All the time about my kids, and praying God somebody will hear," she said.

Crews worked frantically to find her.

And then this: "When I scream 'Help, help' that moment when I felt pressure on my head, no the top of my head, some people was walking," she said.

She says a rescuer and his dog heard her cries.

And Fox 29 was there when firefighters lifted her on to a stretcher and to safety.

Now, it's only her son Andrew by her side because her daughter had to go back home.

Plekan is working with an immigration attorney to have both children here to help her on the tough road ahead.

"I wish my kids could be with me. That's all what I stay strong for because they only who take care of me, and I need them now like never before," she said.

Meanwhile, the backhoe operator and demolition contractor are charged continue to build their defense, but she has a message.

"When I look at people who are responsible for this, I look at them face and say 'How I supposed to live now?' 'How change my life now? " And not just mine, my kids life," she said.

Her attorney says she is now north of two million dollars in medical bills. Plekan also wants to meet the rescuers who saved her.

• David Kinchen ReportsMore>>

Shoppers Get Sneak Peak Of New Target Store In King Of Prussia

Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:58 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:58:18 GMT
    Shoppers got a sneak peak of the mega Target store located by the King of Prussia mall on Tuesday.

Ya Gotta Try This Tasting

Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:34 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:34:59 GMT
    Join FOX 29's Mike Jerrick and the Good Day Philadelphia team for a tasty night of yummy treats benefiting local youth.You've all seen Mike's weekly "Ya Gotta Try This" segments on Good Day Philadelphia, where he visits local restaurants and eating establishments to try their signature, and sometimes, unusual, dishes. Now you have the chance to do the same at the "Ya Gotta Try This" Tasting, Thursday, October 2nd, 6:30 to 9:30, at the Independence Visitor Center, One North Independence Mall W...

Two Masked Men Steal Over $180,000 From Caesars Casino

Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:33 AM EDT2014-07-22 04:33:01 GMT
    Authorities say two men stole $181,200.00 from Caesars Casino in Atlantic City early Monday morning.

Andy Golub's NYC Bodypainting Day

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:43:52 GMT
    The saying art is autobiographical takes on a whole new meaning when your canvas is a fully nude human body, as it is for artist Andy Golub. Andy along with 30 other artists and 45 Technicolor models paraded around several Manhattan hotspots over the weekend for NYC Body Painting day. Believe or not, this is completely legal in New York City.

Protestors rally against NYPD's 'broken windows' policing

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:07 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:07:39 GMT
    Emotions about police brutality were still raw at a protest in Harlem Wednesday night. Eric Garner died after police put him in an apparent choke hold. Cops stopped garner for the minor offense of selling loose cigarettes in Staten Island. Officers had been enforcing the so-called broken windows policy.

Fatal skydiving accident on Long Island

Wednesday, July 30 2014 9:13 PM EDT2014-07-31 01:13:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say one person has died and another has been seriously injured in a skydiving accident. Riverhead police say it happened at about 4 p.m. Wednesday at Skydive Long Island in Calverton. Police say the injured person was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital in critical condition.