Survivor Of Market Street Building Collapse Speaks - New York News

Survivor Of Market Street Building Collapse Speaks

A ruling from a Philadelphia judge came Tuesday in the case against two men charged in connection with the Market Street building collapse that killed six people almost one year ago.

In the meantime, two days from the disaster's one year anniversary, a survivor shared her heartbreaking story.

Fox 29's Dave Kinchen has the report.

Mariya Plekan lost both of her legs in the incident, and now suffers from a host of medical issues.

She was the last person to be pulled from the rubble.

Her appearance came hours after a judge denied a request to drop criminal conspiracy charges against backhoe operator Sean Benschop and demolition project leader Griffin Campbell.

In a wheelchair pushed by her son, Mariya Plekan, was escorted through the St. Ignatious Nursing and Rehab Center in West Philadelphia.

It is where she has stayed for several months in recovery after the 2013 Center City building collapse.

"I just was praying is somebody going to find me and hear me there," said Plekan.

She spoke through an interpreter, and was joined by her attorney.

The Ukrainian mother of two relived the frightening moment when the walls of a Market Street building, under demolition, crashed onto the Salvation Army Thrift Store she was shopping in.

"I was on the left side of store and when everything collapsed on me the brick wall make a (collar) on me made little crack in between, and I make hole and I try to breathe. It was possible to see light from that crack that wall make and it was possible to breathe," she explained.

She says breathing was difficult with the sheer tonnage of debris on top of her.

"I felt very heavy bricks, bricks on me, and I could not move. I heard my phone, but I could not move to reach to my phone," said Plekan.

She was buried for 13 excruciating hours.

"I was thinking about my kids. All the time about my kids, and praying God somebody will hear," she said.

Crews worked frantically to find her.

And then this: "When I scream 'Help, help' that moment when I felt pressure on my head, no the top of my head, some people was walking," she said.

She says a rescuer and his dog heard her cries.

And Fox 29 was there when firefighters lifted her on to a stretcher and to safety.

Now, it's only her son Andrew by her side because her daughter had to go back home.

Plekan is working with an immigration attorney to have both children here to help her on the tough road ahead.

"I wish my kids could be with me. That's all what I stay strong for because they only who take care of me, and I need them now like never before," she said.

Meanwhile, the backhoe operator and demolition contractor are charged continue to build their defense, but she has a message.

"When I look at people who are responsible for this, I look at them face and say 'How I supposed to live now?' 'How change my life now? " And not just mine, my kids life," she said.

Her attorney says she is now north of two million dollars in medical bills. Plekan also wants to meet the rescuers who saved her.

Coast Guard Searches For 83-Year Old Man In Long Beach Island

Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:08 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:08:18 GMT
    The Coast Guard is searching for a missing 83-year-old man Tuesday off the coast of Beach Haven.The 83-year-old man, who has Alzheimer's disease, reportedly headed to the beach on Long Beach Island early Tuesday.

Philly's Courtney Lapresi Wins MasterChef

Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:39 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:39:08 GMT
    Congratulations to Courtney Lapresi, 25 who is now the MasterChef!  (PHOTO: FOX BROADCASTING)Congratulations to Courtney Lapresi, 25 who is now the MasterChef! (PHOTO: FOX BROADCASTING)
    Congrats to our own Philly girl who is now the MasterChef!
    Congrats to our own Philly girl who is now the MasterChef!

Police: Man Kills Daughter's Boyfriend Climbing In Window

Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:13 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:13:20 GMT

Philadelphia police say a man shot and killed his daughter's 31-year-old boyfriend after the boyfriend was caught trying to climb into a window.

Suspect dead following police chase

Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:12 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:12:59 GMT

At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:41 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:41:06 GMT
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos. Real estate mogul Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday to say he left Atlantic City years ago but may return.

Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:37:23 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.