Survivor Of Market Street Building Collapse Speaks - New York News

Survivor Of Market Street Building Collapse Speaks

A ruling from a Philadelphia judge came Tuesday in the case against two men charged in connection with the Market Street building collapse that killed six people almost one year ago.

In the meantime, two days from the disaster's one year anniversary, a survivor shared her heartbreaking story.

Fox 29's Dave Kinchen has the report.

Mariya Plekan lost both of her legs in the incident, and now suffers from a host of medical issues.

She was the last person to be pulled from the rubble.

Her appearance came hours after a judge denied a request to drop criminal conspiracy charges against backhoe operator Sean Benschop and demolition project leader Griffin Campbell.

In a wheelchair pushed by her son, Mariya Plekan, was escorted through the St. Ignatious Nursing and Rehab Center in West Philadelphia.

It is where she has stayed for several months in recovery after the 2013 Center City building collapse.

"I just was praying is somebody going to find me and hear me there," said Plekan.

She spoke through an interpreter, and was joined by her attorney.

The Ukrainian mother of two relived the frightening moment when the walls of a Market Street building, under demolition, crashed onto the Salvation Army Thrift Store she was shopping in.

"I was on the left side of store and when everything collapsed on me the brick wall make a (collar) on me made little crack in between, and I make hole and I try to breathe. It was possible to see light from that crack that wall make and it was possible to breathe," she explained.

She says breathing was difficult with the sheer tonnage of debris on top of her.

"I felt very heavy bricks, bricks on me, and I could not move. I heard my phone, but I could not move to reach to my phone," said Plekan.

She was buried for 13 excruciating hours.

"I was thinking about my kids. All the time about my kids, and praying God somebody will hear," she said.

Crews worked frantically to find her.

And then this: "When I scream 'Help, help' that moment when I felt pressure on my head, no the top of my head, some people was walking," she said.

She says a rescuer and his dog heard her cries.

And Fox 29 was there when firefighters lifted her on to a stretcher and to safety.

Now, it's only her son Andrew by her side because her daughter had to go back home.

Plekan is working with an immigration attorney to have both children here to help her on the tough road ahead.

"I wish my kids could be with me. That's all what I stay strong for because they only who take care of me, and I need them now like never before," she said.

Meanwhile, the backhoe operator and demolition contractor are charged continue to build their defense, but she has a message.

"When I look at people who are responsible for this, I look at them face and say 'How I supposed to live now?' 'How change my life now? " And not just mine, my kids life," she said.

Her attorney says she is now north of two million dollars in medical bills. Plekan also wants to meet the rescuers who saved her.

Fire Breaks Out At Dry-Cleaning Business In Roxborough

Monday, September 1 2014 6:44 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:44:29 GMT
    Fire crews respond to the scene right now of a fire at Ridge Avenue and Walnut Lane in Roxborough.

Revel Hotel Casino Begins 2-Day Shutdown

Monday, September 1 2014 6:31 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:31:50 GMT

It is the beginning of the end for Atlantic City's Revel Hotel and Casino. The hotel shuts down Monday morning, and early Tuesday the casino will follow.

After 27 Years, The Showboat Casino In Atlantic City Closes

Monday, September 1 2014 1:24 AM EDT2014-09-01 05:24:50 GMT
    The Showboat Casino in Atlantic City has cashed out for the final time. The boardwalk staple of 27 years closed its doors for good at 4 p.m. Sunday.

Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.

New MTA bus routes take effect

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.

3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.