Billions in Sandy aid headed to New York, New Jersey - New York News

Supertorm Sandy

Billions in Sandy aid headed to New York, New Jersey

Posted: Updated:
After Sandy After Sandy

By GEOFF MULVIHILL

A plan is in place for disbursing nearly $2.5 billion in additional federal aid to New Jersey, New York City and New York state for Superstorm Sandy recovery, a government official said Friday.

The third round of funding under the community development block grant program will bring the total amount headed to the city and two state governments to nearly $13 billion.

The funding is a major piece of the $50 billion Congress approved last year to pay for recovery of the October 2012 storm, which was blamed for at least 182 deaths in the United States and an estimated $65 billion in damage. The aid is particularly noteworthy because it's the piece of federal aid the state governments and New York City get to distribute as they see fit.

Much of the money is being used to pay for home repairs not covered by other government programs or insurance. The plans from the city and state governments are subject to approval from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The block grant funding was being disbursed to state and local governments in three rounds.

The official who provided the numbers has knowledge of the third-round plan but spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because it has not yet been made public.

The official said New York City will get $994 million, New Jersey $882 million and New York state $606 million. Connecticut will get $21 million and Rhode Island $671,000. Maryland, which received money in the earlier allocations, is not in line for any this time.

Over the three rounds of funding, the totals would come to $4.4 billion for New York state, $4.2 billion each for both New York City and New Jersey, $159 million for Connecticut, $29 million for Maryland and $20 million for Rhode Island.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has been critical of the federal government in the past for sending twice as much aid to New York as New Jersey. The newest disbursement plan does not change that.

The federal government will have about $1.1 billion left to distribute after the third round. No plan has been announced for how that remaining money will be used.

The Star-Ledger of Newark, New Jersey, first reported the new aid figures.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 5 annoying things about the New York City subway

    5 annoying things about the New York City subway

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:07 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:07:01 GMT
    Subway problems are annoying, but it’s just a part of living in New York City. Public transportation isn’t glamorous. It’s a pain. It’s a convenience that can cause an inconvenience. Here is a list of five annoying things about subways in New York City.
    Subway problems are annoying, but it’s just a part of living in New York City. Public transportation isn’t glamorous. It’s a pain. It’s a convenience that can cause an inconvenience. Here is a list of five annoying things about subways in New York City.
  • Terror threats at chemical plants underestimated

    Terror threats at chemical plants underestimated

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:05:38 GMT
    Congressional investigators say the government is underestimating the threat of a chemical attack on America's densely populated cities and has failed to inspect virtually all of the chemical facilities that it...
    Congressional investigators say the government is underestimating the threat of a chemical attack on America's densely populated cities and has failed to inspect virtually all of the chemical facilities that it...
  • Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:03 PM EDT2014-07-30 16:03:50 GMT
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Greenwich Village shootout is getting out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz is expected to leave Bellevue Hospital on Wednesday. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Greenwich Village shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was expected to leave Bellevue Hospital on Wednesday. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices