Phasing out MetroCard could take longer - New York News

Phasing out MetroCard could take longer

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - New York subway and bus riders may be swiping their MetroCards beyond 2020.

The MTA had previously said that the current system could not be maintained in good repair beyond 2019 without more spending.

According to The New York Times, the agency now says it can maintain the system until 2020 based on its current budget.

The paper says transit officials on Monday said they would decide on a new payment system design this year and begin phasing it in by early 2017 while overlapping with the MetroCard for three years.

But an independent consultant contracted by the authority told board members the agency should budget for more time. He says MTA's peers in North America have taken 5 to 10 years to implement a new system.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
  • Long Island doctor gets 10 years in painkillers probe

    Long Island doctor gets 10 years in painkillers probe

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:23 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:23:37 GMT
    A New York physician has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for illegally distributing painkillers. Dr. Leonard Stambler of Baldwin Harbor was convicted in October 2013 of conspiracy and distribution of oxycodone. Authorities have been cracking down on the powerful painkiller following a fatal shooting during a Long Island pharmacy robbery.
    A New York physician has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for illegally distributing painkillers. Dr. Leonard Stambler of Baldwin Harbor was convicted in October 2013 of conspiracy and distribution of oxycodone. Authorities have been cracking down on the powerful painkiller following a fatal shooting during a Long Island pharmacy robbery.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices