School district says no to closing prayer at high school graduat - New York News

School district says no to closing prayer at high school graduation

Posted: Updated:
  • Arizona HeadlinesMore>>

  • Senate reprieve for highly contested border bill

    Senate reprieve for highly contested border bill

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:22:11 GMT
    A bill to deal with the immigration surge at the border appears headed for procedural defeat in the Senate.
    A bill to deal with the immigration surge on the U.S.-Mexico border won a temporary reprieve in the Senate Wednesday as lawmakers maneuvered to offer some response to the crisis before adjourning for the summer.
  • FOX 10 News Update

    Get a news update in 2 minutes

    Here is your news update for today, with some of our current top stories and your weather forecast!
    Here is your news update for today, with some of our current top stories and your weather forecast!

  • Arizona urges court to reconsider prison ruling

    Arizona urges court to reconsider prison ruling

    The state of Arizona has asked an appeals court to reconsider its ruling nearly two months ago that concluded about 33,000 inmates could join a lawsuit protesting the quality of health care in the state's prisons.
    The state of Arizona has asked an appeals court to reconsider its ruling nearly two months ago that concluded about 33,000 inmates could join a lawsuit protesting the quality of health care in the state's prisons.
PHOENIX (KSAZ) - There is a controversy over prayer at a high school graduation ceremony in the town of Pima.

Students have prayed at that school's graduation for decades, but this year it's been banned.
    
Students had already voted on the senior to lead them in the prayer, but yesterday school officials called it off.

The superintendent has been with the district for two years now and says he made this change when he found out it could set the school up for a lawsuit.

The school is located in the town of Pima near Safford Arizona. A few thousand people live there, and the high school graduating class is about 40 students, so it's not a very large school but it is at the center of a very big controversy.

When seniors gather on the football field to graduate from Pima High School on May 21st there will be caps, gowns, and speeches but one thing there won't be is a prayer.

The district superintendent has said no to prayers at the graduation ceremony even though the entire senior class voted to have an opening and closing prayer.

"I was kind of upset because our class voted for prayer, and to have the superintendent say we could not have prayer for graduation, it sucked," said Calleigh Summers.
 
So why no prayers? Superintendent Sean Rickert who made the decision told FOX 10; "this is a step I take as an administrator to increase the district's compliance with the law".
 
Calleigh Summers who was going to give the closing prayer at the ceremony says she's disappointed in the decision.
 
"It does not really make sense to me because we as a class wanted it, so I don't see how it's illegal for us to want a prayer," she said.
 
Superintendent Rickert says the school could potentially be sued by allowing prayer at a graduation ceremony but added "avoiding a lawsuit is not what is driving this. Our primary reason is to make sure we are not violating student's rights".
 
Many parents are confused by the decision since they say prayers have been a tradition at Pima high graduations for decades.

"There's been no one come forward and say I don't want a prayer, in fact, it's stirred up the opposite reaction it's caused the community to be very close now," said Al Summers.
 
There will be a school board meeting Thursday night in Pima the board could override the superintendent's decision to ban prayers at the graduation, but he told us if that happens he doesn't know what the next step would be.
Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:16:51 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:31:08 GMT
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.

  • Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:28:00 GMT
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato.

    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.


Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices