Condoleezza Rice rejects invitation due to protests - New York News

Condoleezza Rice rejects invitation due to protests

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

It appears Condoleezza Rice will not be giving the commencement speech at Rutgers University after all.

The former secretary of state declined the invitation after protests by some faculty and students over her role in the Iraq war.

Rice said in a statement Saturday that she informed Rutgers President Robert Barchi that she was declining the invitation to speak at the graduation.

"Commencement should be a time of joyous celebration for the graduates and their families," Rice said. "Rutgers' invitation to me to speak has become a distraction for the university community at this very special time."

The school's board of governors had voted to pay $35,000 to the former secretary of state under President George W. Bush and national security adviser for her appearance at the May 18 ceremony.

But some students and faculty at New Jersey's flagship university had protested, staging sit-ins and saying Rice bore some responsibility for the Iraq War as a member of the Bush administration. Barchi and other school leaders had resisted the calls to dis-invite Rice, saying the university welcomes open discourse on controversial topics.

Currently, Rice is a professor of political science at Stanford University.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices