Quadruple Amputee Gives Inspiring Speech - New York News

Quadruple Amputee Gives Inspiring Speech

Posted: Updated:

Washington, D.C.-Four years after losing all his limbs in Afghanistan, a military vet could be getting ready to undergo a double arm and leg transplant in Boston.

But first, he's inspiring a group of sixth graders in Washington, D.C.

Some of the students at D.C.’s Alice Deal Middle School got a surprise visit from a most unusual military veteran.

Marine Sgt. John Peck served, and was wounded in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

As a classroom packed with sixth graders listened, Peck was brutally honest about waking up after months of sedation to learn that both of his legs and both of his arms had been blown off.

"I used some very bad language. I told nurses to get out of my room. I did not want anyone around me. I hated everyone. That was probably one of the worst days," Peck said.

Peck's visit to Deal Middle School was an idea hatched by a couple of sixth graders who had made family visits to wounded warriors.

"We went to the Super Bowl event at Walter Reed. And we got to know some of the soldiers, and we were so inspired by them. And we just loved to hear all of their stories. And we thought all of our classmates would love to hear them as well," student Michaela Herdoiza said.

The quadruple amputee told the sixth-graders: one day he simply decided to stop feeling sorry for himself, and, from then on he became a happy person.

"I look forward to being married in November," he said.

The retired marine answered numerous questions about how he navigates through the day with no arms and no legs.

He told the kids: he would not change his life choices.

That prompted a comment from one of the sixth-graders.

John Peck's service to his nation (and perhaps to the world) may not be finished.

He has volunteered to be the world's first quadruple limb transplant patient at a hospital in Boston.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:50 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:50:43 GMT
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • 'Broken Windows' tactic questioned as chokehold victim laid to rest

    'Broken Windows' tactic questioned as chokehold victim laid to rest

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:24 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:24:25 GMT
    The recent death of a man from Staten Island while he was being arrested by NYPD officers is calling into question a police crackdown on petty offenses to discourage more serious crime. Critics say policing based on the so-called "broken windows" theory can needlessly put people at risk and fuel tensions in the city's minority communities.
    The recent death of a man from Staten Island while he was being arrested by NYPD officers is calling into question a police crackdown on petty offenses to discourage more serious crime. Critics say policing based on the so-called "broken windows" theory can needlessly put people at risk and fuel tensions in the city's minority communities.

  • 3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:34:12 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices