Liberty High School Threat Declared A Hoax - New York News

Liberty High School Threat Declared A Hoax

After a lock down that last several hours, Bethlehem Police, State Police and the FBI determine a 9-1-1 call warning of three armed men inside Liberty High School was a hoax.

"I got worried. I was pretty upset and I left work as fast as I could to come home. I had like an hour drive," said Eric Kaihanzel. He and his wife Heather got cryptic text messages from their oldest son Ben.

"He goes Liberty is in lock down. He sent a photo of cops and swat," said Eric as he scrolled through the messages.

"Your mind goes to all the other schools like Columbine and you think something still could happen," said Heather.

Their son Nate was with teachers in the school basement.

"It was hard for me to picture myself being in trouble like Sandy Hook Elementary," he said.

Nate said he had little to no cell phone signal.

"I'm not able to tell my parents that I love them or I can't tell them how I feel right now," he recalled.

His older brother Ben was on lock down in the gym.

"I felt safe because I knew the cops were in the building and I knew our administration took care of it right away," said Ben.

Finally the search that lasted several hours fortunately turned up nothing. Chief Mark DiLuzio with Bethlehem City Police said he's disgusted by what happened.

"I think the joker who called this in doesn't realize a lot of people have kids in school , it affects the kids, it affects the teachers and it affects their family," said Chief DiLuzio.

The investigation continues as to where the 9-1-1 call came from and who made it.

School will be open Thursday with counselors there.

Council Rock South Mourns The Loss Of Three Classmates

Monday, September 1 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:23:09 GMT
    Three boys from Council Rock South High School died over the weekend when their SUV overturned.

Hamels, 3 Phillies relievers no-hit Braves

Monday, September 1 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:42:38 GMT
    Cole Hamels and three Philadelphia Phillies relievers combined to pitch a no-hitter Monday, beating the Atlanta Braves 7-0.
  • September Sizzle

Monday, September 1 2014 3:55 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:55:49 GMT

Summer is not over just yet!  Hot and humid conditions much of the week with temps in the 90's and upper 80's.

Tuesday (91/72): Clouds/Storm

There is a chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms Tuesday.

Tuesday (91/72): Clouds/Storm

Wednesday (90/74): Sun/Clouds

Thursday (89/67): Sunny/Hot

West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

Monday, September 1 2014 5:27 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:27:38 GMT
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.

Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

Monday, September 1 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:16:28 GMT
    Photo by Arun Kristian DasPhoto by Arun Kristian Das
    The most spectacular and costly failure in Atlantic City's 36-year history of casino gambling begins to play out Monday when the $2.4 billion Revel Casino Hotel empties its hotel.
    Atlantic City's newest casino and its costliest failure has begun its two-day shutdown.

Man to face murder charges in mother's slaying

Monday, September 1 2014 3:08 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:08:57 GMT
    Murder charges are pending against a northern New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed and beat his mother to death.