Woman convicted in gun case tied to firefighter deaths - New York News

Woman convicted in gun case tied to firefighter deaths

Posted: Updated:
Dawn Nguyen arrives at court in Rochester, N.Y., in 2013. (AP photo/ Guy Solimano) Dawn Nguyen arrives at court in Rochester, N.Y., in 2013. (AP photo/ Guy Solimano)

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- A woman charged with buying guns for a convicted felon who later used them to kill two volunteer firefighters in an ambush was convicted Tuesday of falsifying business records.

A state Supreme Court jury in Rochester found 25-year-old Dawn Nguyen, of the town of Greece, guilty because she lied when she said on a gun purchase form that she was buying the weapons for her own use. She also faces federal charges.

Prosecutors say Nguyen bought a semi-automatic rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun at a Gander Mountain store in 2010 for her neighbor William Spengler Jr., who was prohibited from owning weapon because of his felony record. Spengler had been released from prison in 1996 after serving 17 years for killing his grandmother with a hammer.

Spengler set fire to his Webster home early on the morning of Dec. 24, 2012, then shot at responding firefighters, killing Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka and wounding Joseph Hofstetter and Ted Scardino. Spengler then committed suicide.

Prosecutor Timothy Prosperi said Nguyen's bail was revoked after the verdict on Tuesday and she was sent to the Monroe County Jail to await sentencing on May 19. He said she faces a maximum of 1 1/3 to four years in state prison.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:37:23 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
  • Police: Man damages 2 golf courses after breakup

    Police: Man damages 2 golf courses after breakup

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:59 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:59:02 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Authorities say a 23-year-old western New York man caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage at two Buffalo-area golf courses after being dumped by his girlfriend.  Police in the suburban town of Orchard Park say Austin Christopher used his pickup truck to tear up the ninth green at Harvest Hill Golf Course early Saturday morning.
    Authorities say a 23-year-old western New York man caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage at two Buffalo-area golf courses after being dumped by his girlfriend.  Police in the suburban town of Orchard Park say Austin Christopher used his pickup truck to tear up the ninth green at Harvest Hill Golf Course early Saturday morning.
  • Enterovirus outbreak hits New York

    Enterovirus outbreak hits New York

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:26:36 GMT
    The New York Health Department has confirmed that a viral-based severe respiratory illness has sickened several children in the state. New York is the latest state to confirm cases of sickness caused by enterovirus EV-D68. More than a dozen children are sick, officials said. The CDC has said this unusually severe outbreak has caused serious breathing problems.
    The New York Health Department has confirmed that a viral-based severe respiratory illness has sickened several children in the state. New York is the latest state to confirm cases of sickness caused by enterovirus EV-D68. More than a dozen children are sick, officials said. The CDC has said this unusually severe outbreak has caused serious breathing problems.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices