Detroit police end search for injured man who called 911 - New York News

Detroit police end search for injured man who called 911

Posted: Updated:
SkyFOX overhead as police search for a man who claims he was kidnapped, stabbed and dumped on Detroit's east side. SkyFOX overhead as police search for a man who claims he was kidnapped, stabbed and dumped on Detroit's east side.
A look from the ground as police search for the missing man. A look from the ground as police search for the missing man.
Another look as police search Tuesday for a missing man. Another look as police search Tuesday for a missing man.
DETROIT (WJBK) -- Detroit police ended a roughly 12-hour search for a man speaking Russian who called 911 saying he was kidnapped and had been stabbed in the leg.

Detroit Police Commander Elvin Barren says dispatch received a 911 call around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday from a man claiming to be a lieutenant in the Russian army. The man, who did not speak English, told an interpreter that he was in Detroit on vacation when he was kidnapped, stabbed in the leg and dumped in an unknown area.

Barren says the man was able to describe his surroundings before losing connection around 10 a.m. That was the last authorities had contact with the man. Police narrowed his position to an area near Freud and Jefferson where the search continued.

Police then expanded the search area, officially ending the search at 8:45 p.m. Police say the search won't resume unless there's more credible information.

Barren says the man was using a satellite phone with a Russian phone number, making it difficult to triangulate its position as compared to cellular phone.

Barren says officers are aware of the potential of a hoax, but are taking the matter seriously. SkyFOX was over the scene after 12:30 p.m. showing over a dozen of squad cars and officers searching buildings in the area. The FBI was also called to the scene.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Newark school enrollment problems

    Newark school enrollment problems

    Friday, August 22 2014 5:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 21:17:11 GMT
    The school year in Newark is getting off to a rocky start. Classes start in less than two weeks and parents are still waiting in line for hours to find out where their kids are enrolled. The problem is being blamed on a glitch in the school's new online open enrollment system. To say mother of three Jennifer Caraballo is frustrated may be an understatement. She is one of hundreds of Newark parents desperately now trying to find a new school for her children.
    The school year in Newark is getting off to a rocky start. Classes start in less than two weeks and parents are still waiting in line for hours to find out where their kids are enrolled. The problem is being blamed on a glitch in the school's new online open enrollment system. To say mother of three Jennifer Caraballo is frustrated may be an understatement. She is one of hundreds of Newark parents desperately now trying to find a new school for her children.
  • U.S. Open preview

    U.S. Open preview

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:52:40 GMT
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices