Gym deems teen's outfit inappropriate - New York News

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Gym deems teen's outfit inappropriate

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Allison Roth went to her Michigan gym regularly to work out and stay in shape, but she claims that after a recent controversial decision by Planet Fitness, she canceled her membership and began looking for other options.

Roth, 17, says she was told by Planet Fitness that her outfit was inappropriate for the gym and was making other customers uncomfortable. Roth took offense to the gym telling her to cover up or go home and chose to leave and cancel her membership.

Other gym goers claim they're aware of the dress code policy but also claim they've seen women scantily clad at the "judgement free" gym.

"This obviously is not a judgment free zone...and I'd like to spend my money elsewhere," said Roth. "It's the motto of their gym, I don't know why they don't follow it."

The outfit was "mom-approved," since grandma supplied the shirt, so the family is puzzled by Planet Fitness' claims.

Planet Fitness issued a corporate statement saying that individual franchisees own and operate local gyms.

The statement said: “We have been made aware of this incident and we are looking into the situation.”

Another gym has offered Roth a lifetime membership allowing her to use the gym any time she wants.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Sunday, September 14 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-15 01:51:05 GMT
    Gov. Andrew CuomoGov. Andrew Cuomo
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
  • Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:50:36 GMT
    Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
  • Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:43:09 GMT
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices