Family Distraught After Baby Monitor Catches Fire - New York News

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Family Distraught After Baby Monitor Catches Fire

Posted: Updated:

Baby monitors are the type of product parents buy to keep their kids safe, but one family says their baby monitor started a fire.

They also say they have the forensic report to prove it, yet the company wouldn't pay their claim and hasn't even pulled the product.

Molly Sandlin and her husband have 3-year-old twin boys.

They've done everything they can to secure their home and keep their kids safe, and that used to included using a baby monitor from Summer Infant.

It provided peace of mind for a while, but now it's an unrecognizable piece of burned plastic.

"I went to work," recalls Sandlin. "My nanny was here. She left the house to go to the store with the kids. She came back to our house filled with smoke."

According to a forensic report commissioned by Sandlin's insurance company, in May 2013, the battery inside the baby monitor had swelled and started a fire.

"It was on our granite countertop in our kitchen, so fortunately what it was sitting on didn't burst into flames as well," said Sandlin.

Two years before Sandlin's incident, Summer Infant had issued a voluntary recall of the battery in the same unit. The company recalled the monitor for overheating, which could lead to ruptures and possible burn hazards.

Summer Infant confirms the unit that started the fire in Sandlin's house was not part of that original recall.

"When a plastic device catches on fire and smolders, it just starts billowing these little fragments of the plastic everywhere," said Sandlin.

Sandlin and her husband packed up the boys and headed to a local hotel for five days while their house underwent a deep cleaning.

The bill for their displacement and cleanup of their house was in the thousands!

While their insurance covered the claim, they're out $3,000 for their deductible, and their premium has ballooned.

"Our insurance premium has gone up about 70%," claims Sandlin.

Summer Infant finally wrote a check for the family, a year later.   

Summer Infant said their near yearlong delay was "unfortunate and unacceptable."

And as for the burned baby monitor at the center of the situation, a UPS receipt confirmed the burned unit was delivered to Summer Infant in September of 2013.

Summer Infant was also provided a copy of the forensic testing which concluded the battery was faulty, but said they are working independently to verify that conclusion before the pull the unit.

 

 

 

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Times Square, 1 WTC go gold for childhood cancer awareness

    Times Square, 1 WTC go gold for childhood cancer awareness

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:20:23 GMT
    Things are looking up for cute little Cami King. Not only is her cancer in remission, she also just got to meet Mickey, Minnie and Elmo in Times Square. But, if you can believe it, there's something else this 4-year-old is even more excited about: Times Square is going gold. The chairman of the Times Square Advertising Coalition announced the crossroads of the world is going to light up in gold to raise awareness for pediatric cancer research.
    Things are looking up for cute little Cami King. Not only is her cancer in remission, she also just got to meet Mickey, Minnie and Elmo in Times Square. But, if you can believe it, there's something else this 4-year-old is even more excited about: Times Square is going gold. The chairman of the Times Square Advertising Coalition announced the crossroads of the world is going to light up in gold to raise awareness for pediatric cancer research.
  • Lawyer says family of girl with Uzi is devastated

    Lawyer says family of girl with Uzi is devastated

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:00 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:00:24 GMT
    An attorney for the parents of a 9-year-old girl who accidentally killed an Arizona shooting range instructor with an Uzi say the family is devastated by the tragedy that occurred on a brief excursion during a...
    An attorney for the parents of a 9-year-old girl who accidentally killed an Arizona shooting range instructor with an Uzi say the family is devastated by the tragedy that occurred on a brief excursion during a vacation.
  • Deadly crash in Lincoln Tunnel

    Deadly crash in Lincoln Tunnel

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:15 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:15:54 GMT

    Officials say a New Jersey man has died from injuries he suffered in a chain-reaction crash inside one of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel.  Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police spokesman Joe Pentangelo says the 49-year-old Summit resident was among three people hurt in the accident.


    Officials say a New Jersey man has died from injuries he suffered in a chain-reaction crash inside one of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel.  Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police spokesman Joe Pentangelo says the 49-year-old Summit resident was among three people hurt in the accident.



Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices