Report: Obama to give up NSA's phone call sweep - New York News

Report: Obama to give up NSA's phone call sweep

Posted: Updated:
National Security Agency building at Fort Meade, Md., in 2007. (AP file photo/Charles Dharapak) National Security Agency building at Fort Meade, Md., in 2007. (AP file photo/Charles Dharapak)

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The National Security Agency may be getting out of the business of sweeping up and storing vast data on people's phone calls.

According to The New York Times, the Obama administration this week will propose that Congress overhaul the once-secret electronic surveillance program to eliminate practices that set off alarms among privacy advocates and drew sharp criticism from many in Congress and abroad.

Specifically, the administration wants phone companies to keep the bulk records of their customers for 18 months, as they do now, and seeks to preserve its ability to see certain records in specific circumstances approved by a judge, says the report, which cited unidentified administration officials. But no longer would the NSA systematically collect the phone data and hold it for five years.

Change won't happen right away. The administration plans to renew the bulk phone-records program as it now exists for at least three more months, the Times says. Phone companies had objected strenuously to any mandate that they hold on to bulk records longer than they already do.

President Barack Obama instructed the Justice Department and intelligence officials months ago to come up with a plan by Friday to change the surveillance program in ways that addressed privacy concerns but retained essential counterterrorism tools.

Under the administration's pending legislative proposal, officials would have to obtain phone records by getting individual orders from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the Times report said.

The new court orders would require companies to provide those records swiftly and to make available continuing data related to the order when new calls are placed or received.

Details of the phone collection program came out last year as part of the cascading revelations leaked by former NSA systems analyst Edward Snowden.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Whitewashed American flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Whitewashed American flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:36 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:36:37 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge where two whitewashed American flags were raised on Tuesday. It is not clear who raised the flags or why. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed. The white flags were placed on the stone supports that hold cables above the span. Several officers scaled the bridge and lowered one of the flags at about 11 a.m. and the second about 20 minutes later.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge where two whitewashed American flags were raised on Tuesday. It is not clear who raised the flags or why. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed. The white flags were placed on the stone supports that hold cables above the span. Several officers scaled the bridge and lowered one of the flags at about 11 a.m. and the second about 20 minutes later.
  • Delta cancels all flights to Israel from NY

    Delta cancels all flights to Israel from NY

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:34:34 GMT
    Delta Air Lines is canceling all flights to Israel until further notice, citing reports that a rocket landed near Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport.A Delta Boeing 747 from New York was flying over the Mediterranean headed for Tel Aviv on Tuesday when it turned around and flew to Paris instead. Flight 468 had 273 passengers and 17 crew on board.
    Delta Air Lines is canceling all flights to Israel until further notice, citing reports that a rocket landed near Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport.A Delta Boeing 747 from New York was flying over the Mediterranean headed for Tel Aviv on Tuesday when it turned around and flew to Paris instead. Flight 468 had 273 passengers and 17 crew on board.
  • Not guilty plea from driver in NJ police officer death

    Not guilty plea from driver in NJ police officer death

    The man accused of driving the tractor-trailer that slammed into a police officer operating a radar gun in Waldwick, New Jersey, has pleaded not guilty to vehicular homicide. Ryan Cumberbatch, of Brooklyn, made an initial court appearance in Hackensack on Monday. Cumberbatch only spoke during the brief hearing to say he understood the charge. His attorney said they wouldn't comment out of respect for the police officer's family.
    The man accused of driving the tractor-trailer that slammed into a police officer operating a radar gun in Waldwick, New Jersey, has pleaded not guilty to vehicular homicide. Ryan Cumberbatch, of Brooklyn, made an initial court appearance in Hackensack on Monday. Cumberbatch only spoke during the brief hearing to say he understood the charge. His attorney said they wouldn't comment out of respect for the police officer's family.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices