Sister defends man accused of supporting terrorist group - New York News

Sister defends Detroit-area man accused of supporting terrorist group

Posted: Updated:
A photograph of Mohammad Hamdan. A photograph of Mohammad Hamdan.
(WJBK) -

The sister of the 22-year-old local man accused of supporting a terrorist group insists her brother is not a terrorist, saying he is not the type of person that would want to cause harm to anyone.

Mohammad Hamdan was taken into custody Sunday at Detroit Metropolitan Airport and has been charged with breaking a law that prohibits support for terrorist organizations.

An agent with the FBI said in a criminal complaint a source recorded multiple conversations with Hamdan, in which he spoke candidly about his desires and plans to assist Hezbollah in the war in Syria.

But Hamdan's family tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue they have no ties to Syria and that they are not political nor religious.

His sister says she believes he was set up, and suggests he was depressed and wanted to reconnect with an ex-girlfriend in Lebanon.

Hamdan had purchased a round-trip ticket to Lebanon leaving March 16 and returning to the U.S. in May.

FOX 2 has learned Hamdan traveled to Lebanon for 38 days in 2009, just two years after to the U.S. from the country in June of 2007. He had applied to become a naturalized citizen and was near the end of that process.

His sister says he wanted to start a business here.

The family also tells Lue they believe this is a mistake because they don't think Hezbollah would have accepted Hamdan because of some physical ailments and the fact that he's the only male in the family.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:52 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:52:39 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at an Upper East Side doctor's office last week. While some reports indicate she is doing better, her daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued a statement on Tuesday saying Joan Rivers is on life support "at this time." Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices