Judge bars Khalid Sheikh Mohammed testimony in trial of bin Lade - New York News

Judge bars Khalid Sheikh Mohammed testimony in trial of bin Laden relative

Posted: Updated:
Sulaiman Abu Ghaith Sulaiman Abu Ghaith

By TOM HAYS | AP

NEW YORK (AP) -- A federal judge ruled Tuesday that the self-described architect of the Sept. 11 attacks will not be allowed to testify in the terrorism trial of Osama bin Laden's son-in-law, but defense lawyers later asked him to reconsider.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan firmly rejected a request by the lawyers to call Khalid Sheikh Mohammed as a witness at the trial of Sulaiman Abu Ghaith using live, closed-circuit video from Guantanamo Bay, where Mohammed is imprisoned.

At a hearing during an off day at Abu Ghaith's trial, Kaplan told the defense that the testimony would be irrelevant because there was no evidence that Mohammed and Abu Ghaith had ever met or even been in the same country. He also criticized Abu Ghaith's lawyers for making the request at such a late stage.

"I have considered this very carefully," Kaplan said. "This is much ado about nothing."

When defense attorney Stanley Cohen stood to try to argue further, Kaplan ordered him to sit down.

"Too little, too late," the judge said in a stern tone. "It's not here. It's denied."

Prosecutors had pointed to a recent written statement by Mohammed that he would refuse to testify in the case as another reason to deny the defense request to call him as a witness. But shortly after the ruling, Cohen sent the judge a letter saying he had received word from Mohammed's lawyer that Mohammed had now "agreed to be examined without limitation on all relevant topics." There was no immediate response from the government or the judge.

Abu Ghaith has pleaded not guilty to charges he conspired to kill Americans and aided al-Qaida as the terror group's spokesman after the Sept. 11 attacks. The 48-year-old onetime imam at a Kuwaiti mosque was brought to New York from Turkey last year.

The judge's ruling also bars the jury from considering the 14-page statement Mohammed provided in response to 451 questions from Abu Ghaith's lawyers.

In the statement, Mohammed said Abu Ghaith had no military role in al-Qaida - a claim possibly supporting defense arguments that Abu Ghaith had no knowledge of pending al-Qaida attacks when he warned on a widely circulated video after Sept. 11, 2001, that "the storm of airplanes will not abate."

At the same time, Mohammed's statement seemed to back the government's position that Abu Ghaith was a key player in al-Qaida, saying fighting one of the world's superpowers meant "we would have to resort to a long war of attrition to which the military and media alike contribute."

Mohammed said he never personally spoke to Abu Ghaith about plots to blow up U.S. airplanes with shoe bombs in December 2001, when Mohammed headed al-Qaida's operations conducted outside of Afghanistan.

Abu Ghaith is the highest-level al-Qaida figure to be tried in the U.S. since the Sept. 11 attacks. His trial is scheduled to resume Wednesday.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:27 AM EDT2014-07-29 12:27:36 GMT
    Two deputy U.S. marshals and an NYPD detective are expected to recover after they were seriously wounded in a shootout with a fugitive sexual assault suspect in the West Village in Manhattan, officials said. The shootout happened in smoke shop called Smoking Culture on West 4th Street near Jones Street.


    Two deputy U.S. marshals and an NYPD detective are expected to recover after they were seriously wounded in a shootout with a fugitive sexual assault suspect in the West Village in Manhattan, officials said. The shootout happened in smoke shop called Smoking Culture on West 4th Street near Jones Street.

  • NYC woman finds wedding dress lost after Sandy

    NYC woman finds wedding dress lost after Sandy

    When a New York City dry cleaners was destroyed by Superstorm Sandy, the only item to survive was Nicole Pagliaro's wedding dress. But her name was lost to owner Hector Pacheco, who reopened after more than a year and in a new location. Pagliaro had brought the dress to him after her 2012 wedding. When the storm swamped and shuttered the Staten Island store, she assumed it was lost. But two weeks ago, she took a different route to work and spotted it in the window.
    When a New York City dry cleaners was destroyed by Superstorm Sandy, the only item to survive was Nicole Pagliaro's wedding dress. But her name was lost to owner Hector Pacheco, who reopened after more than a year and in a new location. Pagliaro had brought the dress to him after her 2012 wedding. When the storm swamped and shuttered the Staten Island store, she assumed it was lost. But two weeks ago, she took a different route to work and spotted it in the window.
  • Earlier start to school day for hundreds of NYC schools

    Earlier start to school day for hundreds of NYC schools

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:45 AM EDT2014-07-29 11:45:37 GMT
    The school day will reportedly start earlier for students and staff of more than 450 schools in New York City starting in September. NYC Department of Education told the NY Daily News that the change in time is in compliance with the new union contract. It will allow for extra time after school for teacher training and parent-teacher conferences. 
    The school day will reportedly start earlier for students and staff of more than 450 schools in New York City starting in September. NYC Department of Education told the NY Daily News that the change in time is in compliance with the new union contract. It will allow for extra time after school for teacher training and parent-teacher conferences. 
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices