NYC guard-inmate sex scandal triggers jail review - New York News

NYC guard-inmate sex scandal triggers jail review

Posted: Updated:
(File) (File)

NEW YORK (AP) - Officials say the U.S. Justice Department is looking into a possible sex scandal at a federal lockup in New York City.

The allegations of sexual misconduct at the federal Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn stem from the prosecution of former guard Nancy Gonzalez. She was sentenced last month to one year in prison after having sex behind bars with a convicted killer who shot two undercover police officers.

The defense says she told federal authorities that she also had sex with at least eight co-workers at the jail, including two supervisors, in less than two years. Court documents show she also admitted having sex with a second inmate.

Prosecutors say they referred the matter to the Justice Department's inspector general. The inspector general's office has declined to comment.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:52:11 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices