Griffith man accused of strangling ex-girlfriend - New York News

Griffith man accused of strangling ex-girlfriend

Posted: Updated:
MUNSTER, Ind. (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A man has been charged with a violent burglary he allegedly committed in Munster on Feb. 22, the Post-Tribune is reporting.

Police say the robbery by 25-year-old Michael R. Martinez resulted in bodily injury, criminal confinement, strangulation, domestic battery and interfering with reporting a crime.

Martinez, of the 1200 block of North Glenwood Street in Griffith, is charged with breaking into his ex-girlfriend's home in the 1500 block of Park Drive in Munster.

The woman told police she was inside her home and went into her attached garage about 8 p.m. Feb. 22 when she discovered Martinez crouched in the corner behind her car with a wrench in his hand. He threatened to harm whoever she was seeing.

The woman ran inside the home to call 911, but Martinez followed her, took one phone away from her and ripped a battery out of the second phone. She tried to escape, but he grabbed her, threw her on the ground and choked her, the probable cause affidavit states. Their 2-year-old child was present at the time.

The woman said she thinks she lost consciousness because when she woke up the police were inside her home.

The home had been locked but Martinez knew the code to open the garage door.

The most serious of the charges is punishable by 20 to 50 years in prison.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices