Mesa Officer hit by drunk driver is back on his feet - New York News

Mesa Officer hit by drunk driver is back on his feet, will participate in marathon

Posted: Updated:
MESA, Ariz. -

A Mesa Police Officer who was struck by an alleged drunk driver is back on his feet again. It's been three months since Officer Jim McDowell was hit but he will be part of the Phoenix Marathon on Saturday.
    
"I went to the intersection of Country Club and Southern to try and prevent a collision," said Officer Jim McDowell.  Instead he was part of the collision.  The Mesa PD motorcycle officer was responding to a drunk driving call on November 7th. "And I stopped in front of the left hand turn lane for northbound traffic with my lights on to keep cars from entering the intersection," said McDowell.

The suspect 47 year old Jose Valdez was driving his SUV on the wrong side of the road when he slammed into officer McDowell pinning him between two cars.

"I had a good burn on my neck, the transmission fluid from his vehicle was just running down my neck. I had bruises everywhere and I had a torn ligament on my knee," he said.

Officer McDowell has spent the last 3 months in physical therapy and just returned to his regular duties two weeks ago. Although he's back on his feet he still can't run the Phoenix Marathon like he did last year

"I have to wear a brace when I do anything more than just jogging," he said. But he's still going to be part of the marathon he'll be leading the race, on his motorcycle.  "But to be able to be part of the marathon and lead the marathon is special I'm excited to do that," said Ofc. McDowell.

McDowell says he's planning to pound the pavement in the Phoenix Marathon next year. "Yes I've already made that commitment," he said.

Police say the driver who hit officer McDowell had a preliminary blood alcohol content level of .205 that is double and nearly triple the legal limit of .08.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices