PECO Warns Customers About Scammers On The Prowl - New York News

PECO Warns Customers About Scammers On The Prowl

Posted: Updated:

PECO has a warning for its customers after scammers targeted businesses and homes including a very popular Philadelphia restaurant.

Russ Cowan, the owner of Famous Fourth Street Delicatessen says his 19th Street store fell victim to a scam. People called the deli claiming to be PECO threatening to shut off power to the restaurant if an outstanding bill was not paid within 20 minutes.

"You always see it on the news this is the first time it's happened to me, "Cowan said. "I said "the receipts there--the bill was paid like two weeks ago.

Cowan says he was out of town when he got a call from his panicked employees around 4-30 p.m. when the store was preparing for the dinner rush.

"They were afraid the power would be shut off so we said "what do we have to do to make sure it doesn't happen," Cowan said.

Cowan says the store manager immediately loaded money onto prepaid debit cards and called the man back with the credit card information.

PECO says since 2011 more than 560 residents and business owners have been targeted by this scam. Roughly 85 have handed over money and the scam artists have netted more than $47,000 from PECO customers alone.

PECO Spokesperson Ben Armstrong says if you get a call from someone claiming to be PECO asking them to verify your account number. Armstrong says the company also follows a series of steps before turning out the lights on our home or business

"We will provide a 10 day termination notice in advance of termination a call within 72 hours of termination--a day of knock on the door," Armstrong said.

Cowan says he knows his money is gone but hopes spreading the word about the scam can help catch these criminals.

"It's tough enough to make money in business to get stung for $1,000 makes it even tougher," Cowan said.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:36:18 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders. Darrell Fuller was accused of killing Police Officer Arthur Lopez who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. 
    Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders. Darrell Fuller was accused of killing Police Officer Arthur Lopez who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. 
    Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices