Brandon Rios to Victor Ortiz: “Give Up Boxing” - New York News

FOX 11 Sports

Brandon Rios to Victor Ortiz: “Give Up Boxing”

Posted: Updated:

Brandon Rios, details his intense rivalry with Victor Ortiz in an exclusive sit-down interview with FOX 11's James Koh.

Unlike other manufactured fighter dramas, Rios said his beef with his former friend and training partner is very real with Rios claiming Ortiz orchestrated threats that ultimately led to one man pulling a gun on Rios back in 2008.

"He got people to come after us, me and (trainer) Robert (Garcia)," Rios said.  "He was having people call my phone, making threats saying ‘You better keep Victor Ortiz's name out of your mouth.'"

"One day I showed up at my girlfriend, now my wife's, house and I parked in the driveway, but all of a sudden a truck pulled up behind me and it was the same guy that had been calling me, threatening me, because I had seen him before," Rios said.  "So he parked behind me, jumped out and pointed a pistol at me and I took off running."

"My wife came out of the house, she tried to run back inside to call the cops, but she slipped and she cracked her head open," Rios said.  "Ever since then it's like you want me to respect you, to talk to you and be your friend after this incident? Come on."

Rios was adamant in saying that he believes Ortiz was the man ultimately behind the threats but also admitted he had no hard evidence that his accusations were true.  Rios said he opted not to file a police report regarding the unidentified gunman.

FOX 11 reached out to representatives for Ortiz and his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions.  Neither provided comment.

We grew up together, I knew this guy since he was 8, I used to go to his house, I know his whole family," Rios said.  "Robert Garcia brought me here to California and I moved in with Robert at his house where Victor was also living and after that, little by little, jealousy, jealousy, jealousy but I don't know why."

Rios, who is currently angling for a fight with Russian slugger Ruslan Provodnikov, said while he would love to fight Ortiz (29-5-2), he doesn't believe the fight will ever happen because of promotional conflicts. Rios is currently promoted by Top Rank while Ortiz is promoted by rival Golden Boy Promotions.

But Rios (31-2-1) said if the fight ever does materialize, he would have the mental edge.

"I'll make him quit," Rios said.  "I'll make him quit at the press conference."

Rios even went a step further saying the former WBO lightweight champ should stop fighting all-together.

"I think Ortiz should give up boxing," Rios said.  "Come on, he got dropped in two rounds (versus Luis Collazo).  He doesn't have a chin anymore, he's just doing it for money."

When asked if he believed Ortiz had simply been through too many damaging fights Rios responded, "Not too many wars, he just doesn't have the heart."

  • Los Angeles & SoCal SportsMore>>

  • Dodgers complete trade with Cubs

    Dodgers complete trade with Cubs

    The Dodgers have completed their trade with the Cubs, sending minor-league pitcher Jonathan Martinez to Chicago and optioning infielder Darwin Barney to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    The Dodgers have completed their trade with the Cubs, sending minor-league pitcher Jonathan Martinez to Chicago and optioning infielder Darwin Barney to Triple-A Albuquerque.
  • Vin Scully to Return to Dodgers in 2015

    Vin Scully to Return to Dodgers in 2015

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:38 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:38:07 GMT

    Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully, an icon in American sports history, will return to the Dodger broadcast booth for an unprecedented 66th season in 2015. The announcement was made by several Dodger players on Dodger Vision during tonight’s game against the Atlanta Braves.

    Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully, an icon in American sports history, will return to the Dodger broadcast booth for an unprecedented 66th season in 2015. The announcement was made by several Dodger players on Dodger Vision during tonight’s game against the Atlanta Braves.

  • Lakers Finally Confirm Byron Scott Is New Head Coach

    Lakers Finally Confirm Byron Scott Is New Head Coach

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 3:10 PM EDT2014-07-29 19:10:06 GMT

    Byron Scott was introduced today as the Los Angeles Lakers new coach, returning to the team he played with for 11 seasons, including as the starting shooting guard on three NBA championship teams in the 1980s.


    Byron Scott was introduced today as the Los Angeles Lakers new coach, returning to the team he played with for 11 seasons, including as the starting shooting guard on three NBA championship teams in the 1980s.



Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices