LA Archdiocese To Settle Abuse Cases For $13 Million - New York News

LA Archdiocese To Settle Abuse Cases For $13 Million

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

(FOX 11 / AP) The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles will pay $13 million to settle 17 clergy abuse lawsuits, including 11 that involve a visiting Mexican priest who fled prosecution and remains a fugitive more than 25 years later, plaintiffs' attorneys said Tuesday.

The deal resolves all remaining clergy abuse lawsuits against the nation's largest archdiocese.

"We're happy to have this behind us," said J. Michael Hennigan, an archdiocese attorney.

The archdiocese settled more than 500 cases in 2007 for a record $660 million and has resolved numerous others since then, individually and in small groups.

Eleven of the plaintiffs in Tuesday's settlement allege abuse by visiting Mexican priest Nicolas Aguilar Rivera, who fled Los Angeles in January 1988 before the church notified police about parent complaints of molestation. The LAPD later determined at least 26 boys had been sexually abused by the priest during his 10-month stay in Los Angeles.

Aguilar Rivera has been a fugitive for more than two decades and was recently defrocked in absentia. He is wanted on warrants issued in the U.S.

and Mexico.

The lawsuits involving Aguilar Rivera had been set to go to trial earlier this year, but the date was pushed back to allow settlement talks to proceed.

Cardinal Roger Mahony, who retired as leader of the archdiocese in 2011, would have been a key witness after giving sworn testimony in the case last year during a closed-door proceeding.

Thousands of pages of confidential files kept on Los Angeles priests accused of abuse were released last year under court order.

Those files show that Mahony and other top archdiocese officials maneuvered behind the scenes to shield accused priests and protect the church from a growing scandal while keeping parishioners in the dark. The cardinal was publicly rebuked by his successor, Archbishop Jose Gomez, after the files were publicized.

In Aguilar Rivera's case, church officials told the priest that parents had complained and that the church would have to notify police but then waited two days to do so, allowing Aguilar Rivera to flee to Mexico, court papers allege.

One memo from the confidential file of the priest shows that Mahony later ordered church officials not to turn over a list of altar boys to police who were investigating.

"We cannot give such a list for no cause whatsoever," Mahony added in a handwritten note on a memo from Jan. 26, 1988.

Statement from the Archdiocese Of Los Angeles:

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles has reached a $13,000,000 settlement in 17 cases of past alleged abuse, including 11 allegations concerning extern priest Nicolas Aguilar Rivera from the Diocese of Tehuacan, Mexico.  Aguilar Rivera was assigned to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in March 1987.  When a report of alleged abuse was made against him in January 1988, he was immediately removed from ministry. He returned to Mexico without informing the Archdiocese.  The Archdiocese sent several letters to his bishop requesting that Aguilar Rivera be sent back to the United States to face justice.

The remaining cases involve three claims alleging misconduct from 1999-2006 by John Malburg, a former teacher at Daniel Murphy High School; one case naming former priest George Miller of alleged misconduct in 1977; a case of alleged misconduct in 1980-1982 by former priest Michel Nocita; and a case of alleged misconduct in 1997 by Rene Velmonte, who has no record of serving in the Archdiocese or that he was a priest.

It has been the desire of the Archdiocese to settle the civil cases of abuse and to provide support to the victims through the healing process. We continue to pray earnestly for all victims and their families so that they may find emotional and spiritual healing. We also reiterate our firm commitment to the protection of our children and young people.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Superstorm Sandy

    Grimm criticizes storm recovery program

    Grimm criticizes storm recovery program

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:12 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:12:14 GMT
    When Superstorm Sandy destroyed Maureen Childs' Staten Island home, she turned to New York City's Build it Back program for help. She says what she got back was heartache. At a news conference Wednesday, Rep. Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and part of Brooklyn, highlighted what he called failures in a program designed to help victims of Sandy get back on their feet.
    When Superstorm Sandy destroyed Maureen Childs' Staten Island home, she turned to New York City's Build it Back program for help. She says what she got back was heartache. At a news conference Wednesday, Rep. Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and part of Brooklyn, highlighted what he called failures in a program designed to help victims of Sandy get back on their feet.
  • Pranna to end 'boozy brunch' after viral video

    Pranna to end 'boozy brunch' after viral video

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:10 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:10:44 GMT
    Video posted on YouTube showing young women and men who appear to be stumbling and drunk coming out of the restaurant Pranna in the flatiron district is why angry residents packed into a community meeting to complain Wednesday night. Neighbors say problems have been happening on Saturdays and Sundays during a so-called bottomless brunch, where patrons can drink as many drinks as they want in a two-hour period.
    Video posted on YouTube showing young women and men who appear to be stumbling and drunk coming out of the restaurant Pranna in the flatiron district is why angry residents packed into a community meeting to complain Wednesday night. Neighbors say problems have been happening on Saturdays and Sundays during a so-called bottomless brunch, where patrons can drink as many drinks as they want in a two-hour period.
  • NYC's secret access for celebrities

    NYC's secret access for celebrities

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:07:59 GMT
    A little bit of money, power and fame can unlock a whole world of hidden passageways and detours allowing stars to come and go discreetly. Seth Weisser has perfected private shopping inside his Soho vintage boutique What Goes Around Comes Around. Celebs slip in through the side door and descend into the vault. But the upper floor isn't too shabby either, featuring hundreds of rare Chanel and Hermes handbags.
    A little bit of money, power and fame can unlock a whole world of hidden passageways and detours allowing stars to come and go discreetly. Seth Weisser has perfected private shopping inside his Soho vintage boutique What Goes Around Comes Around. Celebs slip in through the side door and descend into the vault. But the upper floor isn't too shabby either, featuring hundreds of rare Chanel and Hermes handbags.
  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Businesses Troubled Over Garcetti's Proposal To Raise The Minimum Wage

    Businesses Troubled Over Garcetti's Proposal To Raise The Minimum Wage

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:05:20 GMT
    Los Angeles business leaders said today they were troubled by a proposal being shopped by Mayor Eric Garcetti that would raise the minimum wage in Los Angeles to as much as $13.50 an hour by 2017.
    Los Angeles business leaders said today they were troubled by a proposal being shopped by Mayor Eric Garcetti that would raise the minimum wage in Los Angeles to as much as $13.50 an hour by 2017.
  • Source: American Islamic Militant Said Killed In Syria

    Source: American Islamic Militant Said Killed In Syria

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-08-27 14:42:03 GMT
    An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
    An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
  • Israel, Hamas Accept Gaza War Cease-Fire

    Israel, Hamas Accept Gaza War Cease-Fire

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-26 16:57:15 GMT
    Israel and Hamas announced Tuesday that they agreed to an open-ended cease-fire in the Gaza war after seven weeks of fighting that killed more than 2,200 people, the vast majority Palestinians. The cease-fire was to take effect at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), but violence persisted until the last minute.
    Israel and Hamas announced Tuesday that they agreed to an open-ended cease-fire in the Gaza war after seven weeks of fighting that killed more than 2,200 people, the vast majority Palestinians. The cease-fire was to take effect at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), but violence persisted until the last minute.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices