Gov. Snyder addresses security concerns after prisoner's escape - New York News

Gov. Snyder addresses security concerns after prisoner's escape

Posted: Updated:
(WJBK) -

Tuesday Gov. Snyder spoke with FOX 2's Taryn Asher one-on-one addressing security concerns after a prisoner escaped from an Ionia correctional facility earlier this week. Democrats have been pointing the finger at Snyder's budget cuts, including layoffs and some of the prison services being privatized, believing they may have played a role in the escape.

SEE: Convicted murderer escapes Mich. prison

"Nobody in the guard towers, the gun towers, to observe, the patrols around the perimeter have been cut back, way back, so this kind of thing is much easier," says attorney Mark Brewer. He was the chair of the Democratic party when the corrections budget was cut.

Snyder responded: "Most important thing is that he's been recaptured. Now's the time to do the investigation, so any comments are premature. All the speculation's premature. Let's get the facts. So, there will be a thorough investigation, we'll get through that and then we'll share that with the public, and then we'll look at what needs to be improved."

SEE: Escaped Mich. prisoner captured in Indiana

Asher reminded him of the reduced number of security guards, and the random perimeter checks rather than constant perimeter checks.

"Put it into perspective, though. We've had a strong track record of not having issues for many years now, so let's make sure let's get the facts of this particular case rather than people just speculating," Snyder said.

When asked if he had any plans to put money from the budget surplus back into the corrections budget, Snyder said some items may get worked back in, but he would give no specific plans.

VIDEO: Click on the video player above to learn more in a report from FOX 2's Taryn Asher


Snyder is expected to present his full budget Wednesday at 11 a.m.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices