Former Mayor Daley remains in hospital for tests - New York News

Former Mayor Daley remains in hospital for tests

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

Former Mayor Richard M. Daley watched Super Bowl coverage from his hospital bed in the intensive care unit at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he will remain at least through midweek after suffering possible stroke-like symptoms on Friday during a business trip to Arizona, the Sun-Times is reporting.

Daley, 71, became ill and disoriented while attending a conference for his law firm, Katten Muchin Rosenman. The feeling persisted later that day while he was boarding a return flight to Chicago. Daley alerted family members, who insisted he get checked out and arranged to have an ambulance waiting when his plane landed, said Jacquelyn Heard, Daley's longtime aide.

Daley was able to walk off the airplane, Daley family spokesman Rick Jasculca.

When asked about Chicago Sun-Times columnist Michael Sneed's report, citing a source, that Daley suffered stroke-like symptoms, Jasculca responded: "It could be, but I don't want to confirm things I don't personally know as fact."

Daley was undergoing a battery of tests, some of which could not be completed over the weekend, Jasculca said. Daley has been in the company of his children, who were taking shifts staying in his hospital room, Heard said. She noted that from looking at Daley, you wouldn't suspect anything was wrong with him.

A top Chicago Fire Department official was at Midway Airport to greet Daley, who arrived by private plane, sources said.

Life-long Chicagoans Jim and Sarah Stillo offered their well wishes.

"We're sorry to hear that, yeah, he's finally able to retire and something happens, it's terrible, I'm sorry to hear that," said Sarah Stillo.

"I hope he gets well soon," said Jim Stillo.

"I hope that he has a speedy recovery, whatever is wrong with him because I just found out. It's sad to hear that something is wrong with him but I hope that everything is ok with the guy," Lamont McNeal said.

The health scare came on the day Daley's nephew Richard J. "R.J." Vanecko pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the 2004 death of David Koschman.

Daley has a history of medical issues in recent years.

In April 2000, after a 10-year stretch without undergoing a physical, Daley was rushed to the hospital by ambulance after suffering chest pain at his South Loop home. He thought he was having a heart attack. It turned out to be hypertension. He was diagnosed with a congenital condition known as benign labile hypertension and a daily aspirin tablet and a common blood-pressure medication were prescribed.

At the time, associates thought the health scare might have been caused by stress. It happened the same day the Chicago Sun-Times reported that mayoral pal Oscar D'Angelo had engineered a deal to put two friends of the mayor's wife, Maggie Daley, in business as part of a lucrative bookstore concession at O'Hare Airport.

In March 2002, Daley was admitted to Northwestern after fainting at Rosebud Steakhouse. He never lost consciousness, but he slumped in his chair and was semi-coherent for less than a minute before he came out of it and walked to an emergency room, a doctor said at the time. An ambulance had been called to the restaurant. Daley waved it off, but his bodyguard detail insisted he go to the hospital.

Daley's father, Mayor Richard J. Daley, died of a heart attack at 74 a few years after suffering a stroke.

FOX 32's Tisha Lewis contributed to this report.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
  • Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:08 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:08:03 GMT
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:48:41 GMT
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices