NJ lawmakers consolidate probes of lane closures - New York News

Bridge scandal

NJ lawmakers consolidate probes of lane closures

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

The New Jersey Assembly and Senate committees investigating the George Washington Bridge scandal and the involvement of Gov. Chris Christie's staff combined after a unanimous vote by both houses Monday. The move saves taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees.

The joint committee plans to investigate beyond the bridge scandal. Assemblyman John Wisniewski, D-Sayreville, said the resolution is intentionally broader because lawmakers don't know what will be revealed.

Despite voting for the new committee, Republican legislators have begun to push back. They asked for a Republican committee co-chair, which was voted down by Democrats, and said that it is time to focus on other legislative business.

In private, some Republicans complained about how long the committee could investigate: two years.

The joint committee reissued subpoenas to 20 high-ranking Christie appointees and allies for documents related to the closing of lanes in Fort Lee leading to the bridge. Those closures resulted in massive traffic jams delaying ambulances and school kids for hours.

After February 3, when this joint Assembly and Senate committee will receive documents it subpoenaed, it will decided how wide and how far up the investigation will go.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices