Grand jury re-indicts suspended DeKalb CEO Burrell Ellis - New York News

Grand jury re-indicts suspended DeKalb CEO Burrell Ellis

Posted: Updated:
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -

A grand jury indicted suspended DeKalb County CEO Burrell Ellis on a new charge Thursday.

Ellis was suspended last year after a grand jury indicted him on 14 counts of extortion, theft and conspiracy. 

The new indictment came hours after Ellis posted a video on YouTube proclaiming his innocence.

"It's now time for me to speak directly to constituents who have faith and confidence in me," Ellis said in the video.

In the video, Ellis insisted that he has done nothing wrong.

"I am innocent of the charges against me," Ellis said. "They are politically motivated. I never violated the trust the voters in DeKalb County placed in me in more than 13 years of public service. "

Ellis' Stone Mountain home was raided last year by investigators from the DeKalb County district attorney's office. They were searching for evidence of extortion, theft and conspiracy stemming from allegations that Ellis aggressively solicited campaign donations from contractors who do business in the county.

"The trauma of that event lingers to this day," Ellis said. "The DA went through my closets, my wife's personal items, my kids' toy bins and even my trash and found nothing illegal or improper…After being told by a member of the staff that he had violated the law and had committed criminal acts, the district attorney, in his zeal to destroy me, continued nonetheless.

The new indictment accuses Ellis of voiding a county contract after hearing political consultant Brenda Cornelius had criticized him.  The new charge is conspiracy and restraint of free and open competition.

According to the indictment, Cornelius' consulting firm, the Cornelius Group Inc., was hired to conduct a public relations campaign for the county. Documents allege that Ellis ordered an unnamed and un-indicted co-conspirator to cancel that $40,000 contract in March 2012 after Cornelius criticized Ellis professionally.

Ellis' defense team told FOX 5 that they couldn't comment on the new indictment, but said that the YouTube video was not released in anticipation of the new charge.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Transgender teen escapes from custody

    Transgender teen escapes from custody

    A transgender girl whose imprisonment without criminal charges raised an outcry among her advocates has escaped from custody in Connecticut.
    A transgender girl whose imprisonment without criminal charges raised an outcry among her advocates has escaped from custody in Connecticut.
  • Suspect dead following police chase

    Suspect dead following police chase

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:12 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:12:59 GMT

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

  • Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:41 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:41:06 GMT
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos.
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos. Real estate mogul Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday to say he left Atlantic City years ago but may return.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices