Police: Arrest made in slaying of elderly Novi woman - New York News

Police: Arrest made in slaying of elderly Novi woman

Posted: Updated:

NOVI, Mich. (WJBK) -- An arrest has been made in the apparent homicide of an 84-year-old Novi woman.

Police used a search warrant and found items in a Novi home that are believed to have belonged to the victim. The arrest was made early Tuesday morning.

Chief David Molloy says the 46-year-old suspect lived near the victim, who has been identified as Bernice Schaufele. Police say the suspect will be arraigned Wednesday morning.

Schaufele's body was found Monday afternoon inside her home in the Country Place condominiums near Meadowbrook and Eight Mile Road. Family members grew concerned when she missed a doctor's appointment earlier in the day.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office said Tuesday she died of an attempted strangulation with a stab wound to the neck.

- The Associated Press contributed to this report

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices