Target security breach, 70 million identities compromised - New York News

Target security breach, 70 million identities compromised

Posted: Updated:
Christina Shinko of Flagstaff Christina Shinko of Flagstaff
Statement from Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel Statement from Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel
PHOENIX (KSAZ) -

For the past couple of weeks Christina Shinko of Flagstaff has been cleaning up a big financial mess.

"It definitely caught me off guard... I woke up Christmas morning and checked my bank account and saw a charge I didn't authorize" said Shinko.

Shinko is one of millions nationwide that had their personal information stolen from shopping at a Target store between November 27th and December 15th 2013.

"I was just there to get my daughter, some birthday presents, and it was the one time I used my debit card there" said Shinko.

Target disclosed last month that 40 million credit and debit cards may have been affected in the breach, but just today the company raised that number to 70 million people that may have had their information stolen.

In a statement from Target's CEO it states in part "I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this."

"It still is scary because you don't know if these criminals are getting your personal information and now they know where you live and that really is a big fear for me" said Shinko.

Christina has since created an all new bank account and opted in for even stricter security features. But as far as shopping at Target again she has reservations. "Not anytime soon and if I do it will be with cash for sure."

Target also announced that anyone with fraudulent charges will not have to pay for them. They've also extended one year of free credit monitoring to anybody who shopped at target during the time frame when those numbers were stolen

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:00:18 GMT
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
  • Protesters gather outside Liam Neeson's home

    Protesters gather outside Liam Neeson's home

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:51 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:51:12 GMT
    The escalating debate over carriage horses in New York City has gotten personal. Dozens of protestors gathered outside actor Liam Neeson's Upper West Side condo on Saturday to take the issue right to his doorstep. Standing in a straight line outside the actors condo, demonstrators held signs criticizing Liam Neeson's position that city carriage horses should keep working.
    The escalating debate over carriage horses in New York City has gotten personal. Dozens of protestors gathered outside actor Liam Neeson's Upper West Side condo on Saturday to take the issue right to his doorstep. Standing in a straight line outside the actors condo, demonstrators held signs criticizing Liam Neeson's position that city carriage horses should keep working.
  • New protocol for NYPD officers responding to fires

    New protocol for NYPD officers responding to fires

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:49 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:49:11 GMT
    Police officials in New York City have changed the way officers respond to fires.They’re now required to take the stairs when they enter structures that are burning.This follows the death of an officer earlier this month.Officer Dennis Guerra was overcome by smoke and carbon dioxide as he got off the elevator on the 13th floor of a Brooklyn building on April 6th. He died three days later.
    Police officials in New York City have changed the way officers respond to fires.They’re now required to take the stairs when they enter structures that are burning.This follows the death of an officer earlier this month.Officer Dennis Guerra was overcome by smoke and carbon dioxide as he got off the elevator on the 13th floor of a Brooklyn building on April 6th. He died three days later.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices