Man rescues neighbor from burning home in Highland Twp. - New York News

Man rescues neighbor from burning home in Highland Twp.

Posted: Updated:
Neighbor Trevor Von Buskirk Neighbor Trevor Von Buskirk
(WJBK) -

Trevor and Jen Von Buskirk and their kids were enjoying a snow day when they were awakened by beeping and an orange flash. At first they thought it was a snow plow but, at second glance, they noticed their neighbor's house on St. John Street in Highland Township was on fire.

"I jumped out of bed in my pajama pants and T-shirt, and ran downstairs and threw my boots on and ran next door," says Trevor.

Trevor says he could hear 63-year-old Steven Heyn, who had trouble with his legs from past surgeries, yelling for help from inside. The fire was spreading fast so Trevor kicked in the door and made his way inside.

"He seemed close to door, so I got down on the ground and started crawling inside and just yelling for him," Trevor says. He adds, when he got inside the smoke was so thick he couldn't see his hand in front of his face. Firefighters told him if he would have waited a minute and a half the man would not have survived.

"When I was crawling across the floor I was praying, 'Please God don't let me die in this house,'" Trevor says. He continues, "Honestly, it was like a breath from God cleared the smoke for a second so that I could see his hand. And so I grabbed his hand and just started dragging and pulled him as hard as I could out on the front porch."

Heyn was rushed to the hospital and, thanks to Trevor's selfless actions, will recover. We found out Heyn's cat, Boots, is also okay. Vernon Kenny, a friend of the victim's, searched for the pet for hours and eventually found the cat unharmed.

"I bet you he hid under the bed or something in his bedroom, way low you know. About afternoon when I went in there he was sitting on the couch like nothing ever happened," says Kenny.

Jen dialed 911 that morning and watched her husband in action. She says she's not surprised by her husband's heroic actions, saying "That's just Trevor. That's the guy that I married."

Coincidentally, the couple just moved into this house last month and can't help but feel maybe it was for a reason. Trevor believes, "God puts you where you need to be at the time," and that it's a miracle it all worked out how it did.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Dog found inside abandoned LI house

    Dog found inside abandoned LI house

    Friday, July 25 2014 7:03 AM EDT2014-07-25 11:03:02 GMT
    Officials say a dog found in an abandoned Long Island house was so matted and the nails so overgrown that the pooch could barely walk.
    Officials say a dog found in an abandoned Long Island house was so matted and the nails so overgrown that the pooch could barely walk.
  • The Big Idea

    Making New York City more energy efficient

    Making New York City more energy efficient

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:45 AM EDT2014-07-25 10:45:43 GMT
    More than half the population of New York City rides public transportation to work. No other metropolis in this country even approaches that percentage or the MTA's total number of riders. For that reason, New York likely ranks as the most energy-efficient city in the nation. But what would it take to make the city even more energy-efficient or even self-sufficient?
    More than half the population of New York City rides public transportation to work. No other metropolis in this country even approaches that percentage or the MTA's total number of riders. For that reason, New York likely ranks as the most energy-efficient city in the nation. But what would it take to make the city even more energy-efficient or even self-sufficient?
  • Bronx supermarket fire

    Bronx supermarket fire

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-25 10:19:31 GMT
    Authorities say a child and two firefighters have been injured in an overnight fire that spread through a Bronx supermarket.
    Authorities say a child and two firefighters have been injured in an overnight fire that spread through a Bronx supermarket.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices