Detroit City Council pro tem let off after alcohol found in car - New York News

Detroit City Council president pro tem let off after alcohol, pot found in vehicle

Posted: Updated:
Cushingberry shared his side of the story Thursday night with Fox 2's Alexis Wiley Cushingberry shared his side of the story Thursday night with Fox 2's Alexis Wiley
A screenshot from Cushingberry's Facebook page A screenshot from Cushingberry's Facebook page
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Detroit City Council president pro tem George Cushingberry Jr. was let off with only a ticket after an open alcoholic beverage container and marijuana were discovered inside his vehicle.

The discovery was made when Cushingberry was pulled over in Detroit on January 7, 2014. An officer saw the open container and marijuana inside Cushingberry's vehicle.

The officer wanted to arrest and charge Cushingberry, and the officer's supervisor came on scene. The supervisor then issued a ticket to Cushingberry for failure to signal and let him go.

"A supervisor was contacted who responded to the scene. A decision was made that the council person would be cited and released. That did happen, there was no arrest," confirms Detroit Police Chief James Craig.  

The officer who made the discovery then reported the incident to the department. Chief James Craig has launched an internal investigation, with said supervisor at the focus of the investigation.

Cushingberry shares his side of the story with Fox 2's Alexis Wiley:

"There was another man in the car with me by the name of Richard Clement, who is a Michigan medical marijuana patient. He had marijuana on his person. That's what the cops smelled. He told them up front that he was a medical marijuana patient. There was an empty bottle that was in the back of my car but it was an old bottle. And, so, when the supervisor came, he said, 'There's no open alcohol; there's nothing in this."

Sources also say Cushingberry tried to flea police and then flashed his City Council badge.

To that, Cushingberry responds, "Why would a city councilman try to run away from a cop?"

VIDEO: Click on the video player above to hear more from Cushingberry and Chief Craig in a report from Fox 2's Alexis Wiley

After the news broke Thursday night, someone posted to Cushingberry's Facebook page asking, "how is this one going to play out?"

Cushingberry's Facebook account responded: "My assistant likes pot.. a lot"

Then, another response: "We love and respect the men and women of the [Detroit] Police.."

These are not the first comments to go under fire from the account, which reads as his "official" Facebook page. Earlier this week, in response to an unfavorable editorial posted by The Detroit News, a staff member used the account to reply: "Dear Detroit News, Go to hell. Go straight to hell. Do not pass go and don't even think about collection $200. Jones and Cush will lead the Push for an even Greater Detroit. #WeLoveDetroit."

Cushingberry stands by the comment.

The Detroit City Council could possibly decide Cushingberry is no longer fit to be president pro tem, and could vote to remove him from the spot. Emergency manager Kevyn Orr could also take action and strip Cushingberry of his pay and revoke his power as a council member.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
  • Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:26 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:26:19 GMT
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
  • Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:06 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:06:40 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:01:04 GMT
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
  • Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    Monday, July 28 2014 7:34 AM EDT2014-07-28 11:34:12 GMT
    Dollar Tree is buying rival discount store Family Dollar in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $8.5 billion.
    Dollar Tree is buying rival discount store Family Dollar in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $8.5 billion.
  • Storm damage in Oakland and Macomb counties

    Storm damage in Oakland and Macomb counties

    Monday, July 28 2014 6:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 10:27:31 GMT
    Damage was reported across Metro Detroit Sunday after severe storms moved across our area. About 200,000 customers lost power in the hail, heavy rain, strong winds, localized flooding and thunder and lightning.
    Damage was reported across Metro Detroit Sunday after severe storms moved across our area. About 200,000 customers lost power in the hail, heavy rain, strong winds, localized flooding and thunder and lightning.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices