'Kai the Hitchhiker' pleads not guilty to murder - New York News

'Kai the Hitchhiker' pleads not guilty to murder

Posted: Updated:

ELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) - A man who gained Internet fame as "Kai the Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker" has pleaded not guilty to murder charges in the beating death of an elderly New Jersey man last year.

The Star-Ledger reports 24-year-old Caleb McGillivary remained silent Monday while his public defender entered the plea at a court hearing in Elizabeth.

McGillivary is accused of killing 73-year-old lawyer Joseph Galfy, whose body was found May 13 in his Clark home. McGillivary was arrested in Philadelphia days later and could face a life sentence if he's convicted.

Authorities say McGillvary and Galfy met in New York City and McGillvary stayed at Galfy's home.

The Canadian gained some online fame after intervening in a February 20122 assault on a California utility worker in which he described using a hatchet to fend off a further attack.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
  • Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:16:28 GMT
    Photo by Arun Kristian DasPhoto by Arun Kristian Das
    The most spectacular and costly failure in Atlantic City's 36-year history of casino gambling begins to play out Monday when the $2.4 billion Revel Casino Hotel empties its hotel.
    Atlantic City's newest casino and its costliest failure has begun its two-day shutdown.
  • Man to face murder charges in mother's slaying

    Man to face murder charges in mother's slaying

    Monday, September 1 2014 3:08 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:08:57 GMT
    Murder charges are pending against a northern New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed and beat his mother to death.
    Murder charges are pending against a northern New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed and beat his mother to death.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices