Officials express hope to end New Year's gunfire - New York News

Officials express hope to end New Year's gunfire

Posted: Updated:
Officials at the campaign kick off Monday Officials at the campaign kick off Monday
(WJBK) -

City officials joined with leaders from the religious community Monday to plead for Detroiters not to ring in the new year with gunfire, but instead the ringing of bells. They kicked off the annual campaign "Ring in the New Year with a Bell, Not a Bang" campaign.

The bell-ringing effort was started by the Rev. Nicholas Hood III after Sandra Latham was killed in 1997 by a stray bullet while sitting in her dining room in Detroit.

VIDEO: Click on the video player above to hear stories of other victims in a report from Fox 2's Randy Wimbley

Police Chief James Craig says officers will be on patrol New Year's Eve and arrest anyone caught shooting a gun. "If someone decides that they want to shoot a weapon in the air we will find you and we will arrest you," he says.

Action Impact in Southfield is offering free range time on New Year's Eve from 10 a.m. Dec. 31, 2013 - 1 a.m. Jan. 1, 2014. Action Impact is located at 25992 W. Eight Mile Rd. For more information click the link to the right.

-The Associated Press contributed to this report

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Detroit police seek missing Amber Smith, 29

    Detroit police seek missing Amber Smith, 29

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:18:21 GMT
    Detroit police are asking for the public's help locating 29-year-old Amber Smith.
    Detroit police are asking for the public's help locating 29-year-old Amber Smith.
  • YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:08:59 GMT
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
  • Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:53:37 GMT
    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning.

    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning. Follow live Tweets from the courtroom here. >>
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices