Judge denies bond to "knockout game" attack suspect - New York News

Judge denies bond to "knockout game" attack suspect

Posted: Updated:
HOUSTON (FOX 26) -

A 27-year old man accused of brutally beating an elderly man because he was African American was denied bond Friday afternoon.

A federal magistrate said Conrad Barrett is a danger to the public.

Barrett was arrested Thursday on federal hate crime charges after allegedly targeting the 79 year old Katy man back in November.

Prosecutors say Barrett, who video taped the assault, searched for a week looking for just the right African American to target in the so called knockout game.

It's when someone unexpectedly punches a victim leaving them unconscious.

Barrett's attorney George Parnham says his client is bipolar and was off his Lithium the week of the attack.

Parnham also says Barrett was admitted to a mental facility back in 2010 and remains under psychiatric care.

Attorney O'Neil Williams, who represents the victim, says Barrett is known for his racist behavior on social media and should remain behind bars until his trial.

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices