Radio legend Stan Brooks dies - New York News

Radio legend Stan Brooks dies

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The legendary New York City radio reporter Stan Brooks has died, according to his station, 1010 WINS. He was 86.

Brooks had worked at 1010 WINS for more than 50 years and had retired just last month as a senior correspondent. Prior to that, he was a reporter at Newsday. He joined 1010 WINS in 1962, first as a news reader, then as news director when the station changed to an all-news format. After several years of heading the news department, Brooks returned to his first love: reporting.

Just last week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg renamed the radio room at City Hall in honor of Brooks.

"Stan was loved by his colleagues and friends inside and outside the business," Bloomberg said in a statement. "And maybe the most telling measure about him: He was even liked and respected by his most cranky listeners, the many mayors he covered."

Brooks was born in the Bronx in 1927, attended City College and was drafted into the Infantry during World War II, becoming a trombonist in a band that entertained the troops in the war's Pacific Theater, according to the AP.

"Most days, Stan started his shift at City Hall. Everyone knew him. Everyone respected him," Ben Mevorach, 1010 WINS news director, wrote in an obituary posted online. "NYPD security officers assigned to the hall took pictures with him, newspaper reporters did stories on him, and decades of mayoral news conferences often started with the mayor asking, "Is Stan here yet?'"

Brooks's wife of 60 years, Lynn, died this past May on their wedding anniversary, according to the obituary. Brooks, his health failing, retired six months later and then passed away peacefully at his home Monday afternoon.

"Stan Brooks was an institution in New York journalism," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement. "As police commissioner I've had the pleasure to be on the other end of many of Stan's questions and, first and foremost, he was fair and accurate. Stan was a true gentleman and will be missed by all those fortunate to have crossed paths with him, both personally and professionally."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:00:17 GMT
    SCPD photoSCPD photo
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices