South Side man`s rape conviction overturned - New York News

South Side man`s rape conviction overturned after decades in prison

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A Cook County judge Tuesday overturned the conviction of a South Side man who spent the last three decades behind bars for a brutal gang rape he said he was forced to confess to by abusive detectives working under the now disgraced police commander, Jon Burge.

In siding with Stanley Wrice, Judge Richard Walsh said it was "unrebutted" that the detectives taking orders from the Area 2 commander beat both Wrice and Bobbie Joe Williams, who took the stand against Wrice at his trial in the 1983, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

On Monday, Wrice, said in the fall of 1982, detectives John Byrne and Peter Dignan hit him twice in the basement of Area 2 police headquarters — Byrne with a flashlight and Dignan with a 20-inch piece of rubber.

Williams also said he was forced to point the finger at Wrice.

"I was beaten into a false statement," Williams said. "I was scared."

Both detectives invoked the 5th Amendment during Wrice's evidentiary hearing Monday.

Wrice, 59, had been serving a 100-year prison sentence.

Two of his co-defendants received probation and a third received a four year sentence, Wrice's attorneys said.

Earlier Tuesday, Appellate Court Judge Bertina Lampkin, who tried Wrice when she was a prosecutor, said Williams never told her he was physically or psychologically abused when she met with him at least twice, months after the 1982 crime.

"He didn't tell me anybody did anything to him," Lampkin said.

Lampkin said she vividly remembers details of the heinous gang rape because it was "one of the most brutal" cases she dealt with.

Wrice's attorney, Jennifer Bonjean, said while what happened to the victim was unconscionable, imprisoning the wrong man was a failure of justice.

In urging Walsh to overturn Wrice's conviction, Bonjean noted how Nelson Mandela was living proof that society's ills can be fixed.

Bonjean then skewered Dignan and Byrne for wrongly accusing Wrice because of "racism and hatred."

"They didn't care about getting the right guy. They cared about beating a black man," the defense attorney said.

When assistant special prosecutor Myles O'Rourke gave his closing arguments, Walsh rhetorically asked if chaining a man to a wall and using a flashlight to hit a man's testicles was "good clean fun."

O'Rourke said there was "insufficient evidence" that Wrice was innocent.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect dead following police chase

    Suspect dead following police chase

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:12 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:12:59 GMT

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

  • Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:41 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:41:06 GMT
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos.
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos. Real estate mogul Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday to say he left Atlantic City years ago but may return.
  • Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:37:23 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices