Maggots found in caramel Clif protein bar - New York News

Maggots found in caramel Clif protein bar

Posted: Updated:

By Christine Haas, FOX 7 News - Bio

AUSTIN, TX -- Did you know that the FDA actually allows a certain amount of rodent hair and feces in some of your food? It is something an Austin woman is learning the hard way.

Pushing limits and building strength are themes in Amy Nappier's life. However, two weeks ago this fitness fanatic says something happened that no amount of weight training could have prepared her for.

"I'm surprised I didn't get in a car accident because it really freaked me out," Nappier said.

Ironically, it was something the size of a grain of rice that nearly brought this mom of three to her knees.

"When I took a bite without looking at it, I knew something was wrong."

She is talking about what she found inside this peanut butter Caramel Clif Bar. She bought it at a gas station on the drive to the gym.

"I'm watching the road so I was not looking at what I was biting into," Nappier said. "I took a bite of the cliff bar and I took a couple of bites, and I just knew the texture, like something was not right."

Amy says she discovered something far more organic than she ever bargained for in her protein bar.

"We are talking the whole bar crawling with worms and moths and eggs," Nappier said. "I couldn't believe it was in my mouth and I was actually chewing on it."

She said she immediately sealed up these creepy crawlers and contacted the Clif Bar company.

"What they did say in the email is ‘Sorry...we know what kind of moth this is ...an Indian meal moth and it can get in bar through microscopic pores in the bag.'"

Bob Sprague is an entomology expert with 30 years experience. As a legal consultant and expert witness in the urban pest control field, he says the company's response is not consistent with what he's seen. He says the idea that the maggots got into a protein bar after it was packaged, is far-fetched.

"They lay the eggs, they feed off the food, but I have never heard of a moth laying an egg on top of the packaging and they eating through it," Sprague said.

A spokesperson for Clif Bar told FOX 7:

"We're truly sorry for Ms. Nappier's discovery and for her discomfort, and thankful that she brought this to our attention. We keep our bakeries scrupulously clean and the information that she provided is helpful when researching the problem in the distribution system."

FOX 7 also contacted the Food and Drug Administration about this story. The agency says it cannot address this specific story, but a spokesperson says, "The presence of live insects/maggots/worms etc. in a product is not acceptable."

However, you may not know that the agency has set certain defect levels for foods, including those that are packaged.

The reason? The agency says, "it is economically impractical to grow, harvest or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring, unavoidable defects."

So, what is acceptable and what's not?

Take canned mushrooms for example. The FDA's limit is 20 or more maggots per can. As for chocolate, the FDA says there can be no more than three rodent hairs in a sample about the size of three average sized candy bars.

"Disbelief, I have never had anything in my mouth food-wise, that was crawling," Nappier said.

Amy says this situation has really changed the way she looks at food.

"You need to be aware of what you are putting into your mouth and something that is completely sealed and not past the date can have insects in it and worms and insects and eggs."

The FDA stresses that no amount of defective food is considered "good." However, the agency says it is a part of life and something it tries to keep to a minimum.

CLICK HERE for a full list of FDA guidelines.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Sunday, September 14 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:42:47 GMT
    Gov. Andrew CuomoGov. Andrew Cuomo
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
  • Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:50:36 GMT
    Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
  • Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:43:09 GMT
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices