50K Reward Offered In Boy's Mid-City Shooting Death - New York News

50K Reward Offered In Boy's Mid-City Shooting Death

Posted: Updated:

Los Angeles city officials today offered a $50,000 dollar reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the shooting death of a seven year old boy in the Mid-City area of LA earlier this month.

Taalib Pecantte was sitting in a parked car with his mother and another man in the 1900 block of South Corning Street on December 2nd. A white car carrying as many as four people pulled up alongside and at least one occupant of the vehicle opened fire, sending a bullet into the boy's back.

Police have no suspects and no motive at this time and are hoping help from the public can lead them to the murderers. Taalib was a second grader who excelled in school, especially math. He also played football for the Compton Vikings. He died in the hospital a day after the shooting. The reward was announced at a news conference at the LAPD's West Los Angeles Station. LA City Councilman Herb Wesson pleaded for members of the public who might know the killers to come forward. The child's father and mother also spoke. The mother was so overcome with grief at one point that she was led away in tears.

Anyone with more information about the shooting is urged to call the LAPD's 24-hour toll-free number: (877) LAPD-24-7. Anonymous tips can also be phoned into Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.

 


 

(FOX 11/CNS) - A $50,000 reward was announced Tuesday for information leading to a conviction in the killing of 7-year-old Taalib Pecantte, who was shot Dec. 2 in a drive-by attack in the 1900 block of South Corning Street in the Mid-City area.

Taalib was sitting in a parked car with his mother and another man when a white car carrying as many as four people pulled up alongside, and at least one occupant opened fire, sending a bullet ripping into the child's back, police said. The second-grader, who played football for the Compton Vikings, died at a hospital a day later.

The reward was announced Tuesday at a news conference at the LAPD's West Los Angeles Station.

"It ain't OK to kill a 7-year-old boy," City Councilman Herb Wesson said. "And whoever you are, we're going to do everything in our power to find you (and) convict you."

The boy's father, Abu Hussein, pleaded for witnesses to come forward and identify the killers.

"These individuals ... murdered my son," Hussein said. "I want justice to prevail, and these individuals to be captured."

After the killing last week, Hussein had described his son to reporters. "He's only 7 years old," Hussein said. "I mean, he's an honor student, well-behaved. You couldn't ask for anything more out of a child, a well-behaved child. Any mother and father would love to have this child in their household."

Anyone with more information about the shooting was urged to call the LAPD's 24-hour toll-free number, (877) LAPD-24-7. Anonymous tips can be made by calling Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Hundreds celebrate Easter at St. Patricks Cathedral

    Hundreds celebrate Easter at St. Patricks Cathedral

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:37:51 GMT
    Hundreds of people showed up to Saturday's mass at St. Patricks Cathedral to celebrate Easter, one of the holiest days for Christians around the world.
    Hundreds of people showed up to Saturday's Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral to celebrate Easter, one of the holiest days for Christians around the world.
  • NYC police investigating body in plastic container

    NYC police investigating body in plastic container

    Police in New York City are questioning a suspect after discovering a dead body stuffed into a large, black plastic storage container.
    Police in New York City are questioning a suspect after discovering a dead body stuffed into a large, black plastic storage container.
  • Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:00:18 GMT
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices