Man charged with fraud over banana peel fall, suit - New York News

Man charged with fraud over banana peel fall, suit

Posted: Updated:
WASHINGTON -

A Maryland man is charged with fraud after Metro says he staged a fall on a banana peel in a southeast Washington station elevator.

Metro says 42-year-old Maurice Owens of District Heights sued the transit agency for $15,000, claiming he injured his left leg and hip in a fall at the Potomac Avenue station in August.

But officials say surveillance video shows Owens dropping something later identified as a banana peel as he looks in the direction of the camera. Owens steps on peel as the elevator door opens, and officials say the video shows him thrusting himself forward and falling to the ground.

The claim against Metro was thrown out, and Owens has been charged with second-degree fraud, a felony. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices