CPS Crisis: Group says system failure left kids in danger - New York News

CPS Crisis: Group says system failure left kids in danger

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

Thousands of reports of child abuse that were never investigated has left Child Protective Services scrambling this week.

Late Monday night, Arizona's Department of Economic Security submitted its review of some of the CPS cases.  The report shows much needs to be done to turn the agency around and protect the lives of Arizona children in danger.

The pamphlet put out by CPS urges you to call if you suspect abuse -- "report it now" it says.

We now know that of the 6,110 cases that were never investigated by CPS, 5,000 of them were calls that came in to the child abuse hotline.  Most of them coming in over the last 20 months. Somebody thought a child was at risk, they called to report it, and nobody at CPS ever saw it.

"It's all alarming.. I think what is most alarming is that the system failed kids in such a large, gaping way," said Dana Wolfe Naimark of Children's Action Alliance.

Wolfe-Naimark reacted to the review CPS released Monday night of thousands of reports of abuse or neglect that came into the state's child abuse hotline.

"It's horrifying to think about it.. also to think that somebody called for help and no help came.. I mean it's chilling to think about that," she said.

The CPS plan reveals what the agency discovered while reviewing roughly half of the 6,000 cases that had been somehow overlooked and never investigated by the agency.

Within those cases, they discovered 10 needed an immediate response.  In 125 cases, subsequent reports of abuse of the same child had come in.   Roughly 1,800 cases will require a full investigation.

"A system failure was leaving kids in danger and not knowing as Director Carter said last week, we don't know how many kids are in harms way.. those are not words you want to hear from the director of the Child Protective Services agency," said Wolfe-Naimark.

She believes the plan to address the crisis is a good start but still believes DES head Clarence Carter should resign.

"We've urged the governor to ask for his resignation.. this happened under his watch, his leadership... so we believe he should be held accountable."

We reached out to Clarence Carter of D.E.S. on Tuesday.  They declined an interview, saying he is focused solely on the case review.

Reviews of all 6,100 cases should be finished by the end of January, according to the plan.

There's a lot that needs to be done, including making sure that the cases that keep coming in get the attention they need.  Not to mention what happened.  How did 6,000 reports of abuse end up not being investigated? DPS is conducting a separate investigation of that.

Take a look at the D.E.S. work plan here: www.myfoxphoenix.com/link/670599/des-work-plan

Follow this story:

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

    Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

    Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.
  • New MTA bus routes take effect

    New MTA bus routes take effect

    Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs. 
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs. 
  • 3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

    3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

    Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices