Food stamp cuts leave many Thanksgiving dinners feeling thin - New York News

Food stamp cuts leave many Thanksgiving dinners feeling thin

Updated:

By: Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock, Deseret News

Because of $5 billion in cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, known as the food stamp program, Thanksgiving dinner could be smaller for the 42 million Americans utilizing the safety net program this holiday season, according to the Huffington Post.

The number of food stamp dependants has grown steadily since 2007, with a total overall increase of 70 percent, according to the Sunlight Foundation Reporting Group.

"The boost in food stamp use is just one indicator of how many Americans will be struggling to have a good Thanksgiving meal this year, especially given the fact that the average person on food stamps has a budget of just $1.00 to $1.25 per meal," the Huffington Post reported.

According to an MSNBC article, food banks across the nation are seeing increased numbers this Thanksgiving.

"Food pantries around the country are reporting a precipitous rise in the number of new visitors as people who were previously able to make do on food stamps get hit with cuts they can't afford," MSNBC reported.

CBS Boston reports that in Framingham, Mass., food bank patron requests have increased 400 percent this year.

“These are folks you wouldn't normally expect to be needing help. On top of those always in need, it's a big group and a big deal,” said Paul Mina president of United Way Tri-County, which runs the food pantry, according to CBS.

The average cost for a Thanksgiving meal is almost $50, the Huffington Post reported.

But recent statistics show food expenses are just as trying without the presence of the holidays.

"In northern states, expenses generally increase during the winter months as heating bills rise. A 2010 survey by the Feeding America food bank network found nearly half of its clients - 46 percent, to be exact - had at one point been forced to choose between paying for food and paying for utilities," according to MSNBC.


Original Post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:33:11 GMT
    New Haven police say they have charged a Westbrook with making a hoax call in November to say an armed man was heading to shoot up Yale University.
    Police say they have charged a Connecticut man with making a call in November in which he falsely claimed an armed man was on his way to shoot up Yale University. New Haven police said Wednesday that 50-year-old Jeffrey Jones, of Westbrook, has been charged with falsely reporting an incident, threatening, reckless endangerment, misuse of the emergency 911 system and breach of peace.
  • Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:10 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:10:58 GMT
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
  • Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:57:07 GMT
    NJ TransitNJ Transit
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is holding its monthly board meeting, two days after it heard from a panel on what it needs to do to improve its accountability and efficiency and restore public trust.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey could rescind a $1-a-year lease for a park-and-ride lot near the Lincoln Tunnel. The agency's chief of real estate and development told a committee Wednesday that it should change a deal made in 2012. Published reports have alleged that former Port Authority chairman David Samson voted to approve the lease even though his law firm did business with New Jersey Transit, which operates the park-and-ride lot.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices